Server freezes (Fixed!)

1. ‹ Older
  2. 8 years ago

@SOAR_Griz Jaypee, to confirm what you are saying. You have been running an ALiVE server with no RHS and received no freezes?

Yes though not the latest update 1.0.
    I'm not touching RHS combined with Alive for a while. Sorry mates I like playing Arma ;)
    I created the tread my first post holds all the data.

3. Edited 8 years ago by SavageCDN

Just to clear things up .. that issue I reported with RHS Ins factions would only have appeared in the 1.0 version - this would not be the cause of any crashes with previous versions.

Also no one has yet CONFIRMED there is an issue with static data and RHS in 1.0. The guy who wrote the static data update says it causes a crash however it has not yet been replicated. Sorry for the confusion and will update once I have more info.

4. Edited 8 years ago by Jaypee

I'm sorry to report we had the freezes even without running RHS. Was hopefull for a while but yeah. We're also running 1.0

modlist:
    @ace3;
    @alive;
    @cba_a3;
    @fa18x_black_wasp;
    @sthud_a3;
    @task_force_radio;
    @backpackonchest;
    @fa18_a3;
    @js_jc_su35;
    @nimitz;

5. Tupolov

10 Feb 2016 Administrator

Seriously people.

Please do not report any hangs, crashes, bugs, freezes unless you can repro with just the following mods running:

CBA_A3; ALiVE; ALiVEServer

We cannot help unless we know it is reproducable with our mod only. I know that is difficult because you guys use lots of mods, but its the only way we are going to get to the bottom of this.

ALSO, I've requested that you test ALiVE 0.9.9 to see if it was something we introduced in 0.9.10.

http://alivemod.com/downloads/@ALiVE_0.9.9.1506221.7z

Can I please request no more posts on this thread unless your issue is on ALiVE/CBA only.

6. No problem. I think we're all trying to Exclude ALiVE at this point and isolate which particular mod is causing the Freezing. It may just be Arma itself and we're screwed.

7. Tupolov

Edited 8 years ago by Tupolov

It could be A3 1.54, it could be ALiVE, it could be ACE, it could be a combination of mods in conflict. It could be the mission itself, it could be Zeus too...

It sounds like there is a conflict (although but Ski2060 has had an op running multiple mods without issue).

From the timeline, it sounds like this issue was seen shortly after the 1.54 and ALiVE 0.9.10 update.

So, its either 1.54, ALiVE 0.9.10 or a combination of those with another mod.

If we are to work this out, some brave soul is going to have to get a few players on a server with just CBA and ALiVE 0.9.10 and see if it happens.

Alternatively, you guys can try ALiVE 0.9.9 and see if that fixes your issue.

8. @Tupolov Seriously people.

Please do not report any hangs, crashes, bugs, freezes unless you can repro with just the following mods running:

We cannot help unless we know it is reproducable with our mod only. I know that is difficult because you guys use lots of mods, but its the only way we are going to get to the bottom of this.

Can I please request no more posts on this thread unless your issue is on ALiVE/CBA only.

Our unit didn't have any issues with CBA and just ALiVE during testing. It was only after introducing other mods that we had issues - not to say someone else hasn't had problems. We can roll back our version of ALiVE and see how things go, but we already have the results of running ALiVE by itself.

That said, it doesn't seem right to halt all discussion of this issue just because we don't have evidence that the issue is not specifically ALiVE. The one thing that you can't argue based on all of these results, is that removing ALiVE from a mod pack will stop the freezing (if it's occurring).

This discussion has been very constructive and without it, people wouldn't have narrowed the problem down to what they have. Savage even informed us that a dev has been able to reproduce the issue while running several mods so we have that going for us right now as well.

Even if the ALiVE team can't do anything about the issue directly if it's not ALiVE, that doesn't mean we can't take the information that we've gathered to another mod author. We just don't know which mod author that is yet.

I hope I'm wrong here, but I really get the impression based on your recent comments on this thread and Reddit that you're getting defensive about this whole thing. Maybe I'm simply misunderstanding, but the only result I foresee from stopping this discussion like that, is that you'll be halting the little progress we've had with determining a cause.

9. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@SOAR_Jooce, first and foremost the devs here can only be held accountable for their own mod. And I didn't read his post in a way that is actively discouraging finding the root cause, if it is indeed an issue being caused by ALiVE and another mod conflicting with eachother. He's saying that any crash needs to be attempted to be replicated with ALiVE and CBA only first before reporting.

This thread has become an absolute mess because there has been no universal testing method aside from a couple of the tests Ski ran. It does nobody any good to come in here complaining about the crash, and then listing 17 @mods being run with the mission.

If @alive, @cba, @ace and @rhs are causing reproducible crashes in a mission, the next step is to try the same mission vanilla only. Then adding the mods one by one back in. Then posting the report.

Maybe I'm wrong and this kind of testing isn't welcome in this thread, but I read all this as a deterrent to some of the crash stuff posted just recently. How on earth can an issue be fixed by the ALiVE dev team if logs are being posted with a dozen other Addons? Testing needs a base, meaning alive and CBA only, otherwise no issue will ever get fixed.

Someone needs to be bold enough to play the vanilla game with alive and CBA. I'd do it myself but I'm not having any crashing problems whatsoever and haven't since getting the performance binaries over on the bis forums weeks ago.

10. Tupolov

Exactly, not trying to stop people from discussing it, but its a waste of time if people are not willing to repro with just vanilla.

This thread will just go on and on unless a method to the testing is put in place. Therefore, I've requested that people test CBA and ALiVE only and repro it. If you can't repro then at least we know its most likely a conflict with ALiVE and another mod. That one bit of information is critical.

Next step would be to repro with CBA, ALiVE and ACE to confirm it is in indeed ALiVE with ACE.

Our dev reproduced the issue with XX mods too, so that is just confirming what you guys are seeing - not actually contributing to a constructive methodical test approach.

11. @HeroesandvillainsOS  @SOAR_Jooce, first and foremost the devs here can only be held accountable for their own mod. And I didn't read his post in a way that is actively discouraging finding the root cause, if it is indeed an issue being caused by ALiVE and another mod conflicting with eachother. He's saying that any crash needs to be attempted to be replicated with ALiVE and CBA only first before reporting.

This thread has become an absolute mess because there has been no universal testing method aside from a couple of the tests Ski ran. It does nobody any good to come in here complaining about the crash, and then listing 17 @mods being run with the mission.

If @alive, @cba, @ace and @rhs are causing reproducible crashes in a mission, the next step is to try the same mission vanilla only. Then adding the mods one by one back in. Then posting the report.

Maybe I'm wrong and this kind of testing isn't welcome in this thread, but I read all this as a deterrent to some of the crash stuff posted just recently. How on earth can an issue be fixed by the ALiVE dev team if logs are being posted with a dozen other Addons? Testing needs a base, meaning alive and CBA only, otherwise no issue will ever get fixed.

Someone needs to be bold enough to play the vanilla game with alive and CBA. I'd do it myself but I'm not having any crashing problems whatsoever and haven't since getting the performance binaries over on the bis forums weeks ago.

1) Not once have I complained about the crashes to ALiVE devs as if it was there fault, nor am I asking them to stop what they're doing and address our issues as if the world revolves around those of us that are having this problem. I even specifically say multiple times that I'm not blaming ALiVE (you sure you read this thread?).

2) The method that Ski is using is the same method that our unit used to get the point where I decided to bring our results here. If it crashes with multiple mods, then remove mods until you find out which one is causing it. What's so messy about that? That's how we got to the point where we knew removing ALiVE stopped our freezing.

3) Testing has been done with CBA and ALiVE only (again are you sure you read this thread or even the entirety of my last post) and our unit has not encountered a crash. You yourself have the nerve to tell someone else to test this because you can't be bothered. The MOMENT that we were aware ALiVE 1.0 was released, our unit stopped and made the effort to try it out, and we spent months trying to find out the problem before that.

4) I'm only concerned that the "messy" progress that has been made doesn't stop. This is the only thread with remotely constructive testing and discussion going on about the modded issues and to bring that to a halt may mean even longer until a resolution is found. I'm not demanding ALiVE fix this issue, I'm simply asking that the communication doesn't get stopped just because it's not necessarily directly caused by the ALiVE mod.

12. Edited 8 years ago by SOAR_Jooce

@Tupolov Exactly, not trying to stop people from discussing it, but its a waste of time if people are not willing to repro with just vanilla.

This thread will just go on and on unless a method to the testing is put in place. Therefore, I've requested that people test CBA and ALiVE only and repro it. If you can't repro then at least we know its most likely a conflict with ALiVE and another mod. That one bit of information is critical.

Next step would be to repro with CBA, ALiVE and ACE to confirm it is in indeed ALiVE with ACE.

Our dev reproduced the issue with XX mods too, so that is just confirming what you guys are seeing - not actually contributing to a constructive methodical test approach.

Honestly, what's a waste of time is repeatedly pointing out something that has already been determined. Sure, just taking our case alone is not good enough data, but we have tested with CBA and ALiVE alone and had no issues. That has been stated before. From there we have moved on to realizing that this is some kind of conflict. I'm pretty certain my first post on these forums indicated that our unit believed that and more supporting data came in.

It also seems like a waste of your devs time to have even tried testing this with multiple mods. If their intent was only to confirm what everyone here has repeatedly proven to be the case, that really didn't serve much purpose.

The tone of "don't post here unless you're having a problem with only ALiVE" rubbed me the wrong way. I'm going to take a step back in just watch this unfold then. Hopefully this doesn't get swept under the rug and no one ever determines where the conflict is or we (our unit) simply won't be able to use ALiVE anymore.

13. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

It also seems like a waste of your devs time to have even tried testing this with multiple mods. If their intent was only to confirm what everyone here has repeatedly proven to be the case, that really didn't serve much purpose.

I think the point of that was saying they have come across a seemingly-similar crash while playing instead of them actively trying to make it crash with a bunch of mods enabled.

There is no reason to stop discussion, whether the issue is caused by ALiVE or not we want the issue to be fixed so everyone can return to playing the game. I think what Tup is trying to say is don't expect official support on the issue unless it can be repro'ed with the requested setup. He's only trying to structure any efforts so it can be productive instead of wasted time. If you determine it to be caused by ALiVE instead of a confliction, feel free to pm me directly and I'll add an issue ticket.

From reading above, it "seems" like the issue might have been reduced to a crash when only CBA, ALiVE, and RHS are being used. There are also posts saying they've had missions with those mods enabled running with no issues. In order to get to the bottom of it, if you run one of these tests, posts how you determined the results. Were you testing with rhs_faction_msv? rhs_faction_usmc?. If you think it's a confliction with ACE, what modules were you using? Any ACE related scripting you've done? Things like this can boil down to a tiny thing and sharing the specific parameters of your tests will only benefit overall efforts.

14. @SpyderBlack723 I think the point of that was saying they have come across a seemingly-similar crash while playing instead of them actively trying to make it crash with a bunch of mods enabled.

Yes sorry I wasn't more clear on that. It occurred during a weekend play session in a group one of the devs belongs to...

15. Tupolov

@SOAR_Jooce honestly, your point about CBA and ALiVE working fine was lost in the noise :) If that is the case then we just need to ID the mod it conflicts with.

We appreciate your testing and effort absolutely. As you can imagine we want to focus on specific ALiVE issues. If we can nail down if its ALiVE and ACE (for example), then we know where to start. This thread just is full of people reporting issues with a whole mix of mods, we just don't have the spare hours to chase those combination of mods down.

We are interested in fixing any conflict with ACE (or RHS).

If someone can confirm the issue with CBA, ALIVE and ACE - that would be great!

Also, if someone can confirm the issue exists with ALiVE 0.9.9 (and any modset) that would be useful too!

Thanks for your patience and apologies for any perceived "aggro" from us :)

If you do confirm that issue - please pass us RPT log, plugin log and the mission SQM/files.

Cheers

16. Tupolov

11 Feb 2016 Administrator

Was also thinking, running the following commands in the debug console may help from a troubleshooting perspective once the issue appears:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/diag_activeSQFScripts
    https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/diag_activeMissionFSMs

{diag_log str _x} forEach diag_activeMissionFSMs;
    {diag_log str _x} forEach diag_activeSQFScripts

This will let us know what scripts and FSMs are running on the server at the time.

Make sure you run these on the server and your client.

17. @Tupolov @SOAR_Jooce honestly, your point about CBA and ALiVE working fine was lost in the noise :) If that is the case then we just need to ID the mod it conflicts with.

We appreciate your testing and effort absolutely. As you can imagine we want to focus on specific ALiVE issues. If we can nail down if its ALiVE and ACE (for example), then we know where to start. This thread just is full of people reporting issues with a whole mix of mods, we just don't have the spare hours to chase those combination of mods down.

We are interested in fixing any conflict with ACE (or RHS).

If someone can confirm the issue with CBA, ALIVE and ACE - that would be great!

Also, if someone can confirm the issue exists with ALiVE 0.9.9 (and any modset) that would be useful too!

Thanks for your patience and apologies for any perceived "aggro" from us :)

If you do confirm that issue - please pass us RPT log, plugin log and the mission SQM/files.

Cheers

Your own Developers have said they have reproduced it with 100% success rate. Using CBA/ALIVE an ACE is pointless at this time. Are you not in communication with your developers?

If they have a 100% success rate of reproducing the issue, why are we going back to square one? We have done nothing but support ALiVE and give information non stop. We tested Alive 1.0 within 30 minutes of hearing it was released. And as soon as we report it does not fix the issue Tupolov goes full defensive on the Arma subreddit, Tupolov acts like ALiVE cannot possibly be conflicting with the mods, even though your developers have now clearly stated that it does.

"It does not mean that ALiVE is at fault. Until we can get a reproducible issue without other mods (i.e. just CBA and ALiVE) then we can actually go about fixing something." - Tupolov

Guess what, if removing ALiVE from our modpack brings stability. It does mean ALiVE is partially to blame.
    Now please work with your developer who says he has a 100% chance of reproducing the issue, it seems like he is the only one actually doing positive work to get this done and fixed.

18. My bad for even mentioning anything.. I've learned that lesson.

Look Griz we're all trying to fix the problem here... the number of times we get "OMG ALIVE IS BREAKING OUR SHIT" and it turns out to be some other issue is extremely common. No one is "going full defensive" here and if you've taken it that way then well... I'm sorry.

Also there is no need for things like "do you even talk to your developers?" that is insulting. The team is doing all they can to troubleshoot and fix the issue. If you'd like to help out by testing and posting logs then great.

19. One of the main problems we're having with this issue is that it is not producing dmp files when the servers are freezing. They are only producing RPT files for the most part. I think I had one instance where this happend and I had a BIdmp and a MDMP file, and both were lost by my hosting service before I could make backups.

20. @ski2060 One of the main problems we're having with this issue is that it is not producing dmp files when the servers are freezing. They are only producing RPT files for the most part. I think I had one instance where this happend and I had a BIdmp and a MDMP file, and both were lost by my hosting service before I could make backups.

That means the server hasn't given up and crashed yet.

21. Edited 8 years ago by dixon13

Honestly, the blame is probably all on RHS and them not cooperating with the community. They are very stubborn and do things that make their mod incompatible with other mods. I think they had once mentioned somewhere on their BI forum post that they had intended their mod to be the only one used and nothing else. What kind of mod authors intend that. Nobody uses only ONE mod.

Since they don't cooperate everyone else has to make an attempt to make their content compatible with RHS. It's just extra work that is taking valuable time from actual development of the core of the mod.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!