ALiVE Map List and Descriptions

1. ‹ Older
  2. 8 years ago
    Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Yeah good call. I think it definitely has a decent layout for C2ISTAR (in theory) and get-in, get-out kind of missions. Too bad ALiVE doesn't have a prisoner rescue quest. Like some random camp we need to get Intel on with a solder hostage. That would be really topical and really really great. :) It's decided. Thanks Savage.

3. I've been using FSF Al Rayak and it works super well.

4. I've become unfathomably better at creating missions/scripting since I did a FATA mission, but it's still been one of the best missions I've ever played. Definitely a map worth trying.

5. I'll get started tonight. Hopefully to save me some initial basic setup time a copy/paste from CLAfghan will do. I have what I'd say is a 50% done mission on that map but yeah, CLAfghan's layout causes huge problems with AI path-taking. FATA is a cool map. Should have thought of that earlier. Thanks guys.

6. Deleted 8 years ago by incontinenetia
  7. My personal favorites...

Sangin- absolutely phenomenal layout for insurgencies. Varied terrain, outstanding city layout, brilliant prebuilt FOBs, poppy fields, etc. not too big, not too small. My all time favorite Afghan themed map.

Isla Duala- one of the very few legit African maps. It's easy to get burned out on constantly fighting Middle East terrorists. Using this map in conjunction with Massi's African Conflict unit pack provides a slew of wonderful African themed campaigns. So much variety and unique thought in this map as well.

N'Ziwasogo- see my earlier comments about Isla Duala. Another very unique map that can be used for any Jungle environment. And...the best ambient sounds on any map available. It's also Huuuuuuge.

Sahrani SMD- this map doesn't get enough pub. Huge graphical improvements over the A2 ported Sahrani. Great terrain variations and Alive works wonderfully on it as well.

Those are my Top 4. If not for the AI path finding issues on Clafghan, it would be up there as well.

8. Is Isla Duala still working well with ALiVE? Am I making up that I thought I heard there was some new issues with it? Or maybe not with ALiVE-per say but some kind of issue in general? I could have sworn I read somewhere but I'm not remembering where I got that from...

9. Other than AI not crossing bridges, Isla Duala works great. But that issue is a map issue, not an Alive issue. Icebreaker is working on a fix. He already fixed it on his Lingor map.

10. ^ I wonder how he fixed it? This is a long-standing issue with AI and bridges (not just on his maps).

11. He be magician

12. @AUTigerGrad My personal favorites...

Sangin- absolutely phenomenal layout for insurgencies. Varied terrain, outstanding city layout, brilliant prebuilt FOBs, poppy fields, etc. not too big, not too small. My all time favorite Afghan themed map.

Isla Duala- one of the very few legit African maps. It's easy to get burned out on constantly fighting Middle East terrorists. Using this map in conjunction with Massi's African Conflict unit pack provides a slew of wonderful African themed campaigns. So much variety and unique thought in this map as well.

N'Ziwasogo- see my earlier comments about Isla Duala. Another very unique map that can be used for any Jungle environment. And...the best ambient sounds on any map available. It's also Huuuuuuge.

Sahrani SMD- this map doesn't get enough pub. Huge graphical improvements over the A2 ported Sahrani. Great terrain variations and Alive works wonderfully on it as well.

Those are my Top 4. If not for the AI path finding issues on Clafghan, it would be up there as well.

Cheers for those, I've added what you've said (feel free to let me know if there are any errors in the descriptions!).

13. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

I'd include an FPS warning for Sangin. For my money it's probably my all-time favorite map, but really suffers from huge performance drops in the cities. Let's put it this way; it's not unplayable or unenjoyable, but it's enough of a deterrent for me to prefer playing on other maps when given the choice.

14. @HeroesandvillainsOS  I'd include an FPS warning for Sangin. For my money it's probably my all-time favorite map, but really suffers from huge performance drops in the cities. Let's put it this way; it's not unplayable or unenjoyable, but it's enough of a deterrent for me to prefer playing on other maps when given the choice.

Done! Cheers.

15. Updated FATA based on recent experience of using the map.

16. For FATA, I noticed that if random camps in the mil obj module are given unfettered access to spawn at will, about 200M-300M around the outside (in the non-playable areas) of the entire map will see camp placements. To combat this, I actually had to make blacklist markers for the entire map border. It's like even though the map is 5x5, ALiVE will spawn camps in a 5.3x5.3 area.

17. Yeah that's true... but also true for quite a lot of maps with land borders too. In fact, in my experience, it happens on all of them!

18. @incontinenetia Yeah that's true... but also true for quite a lot of maps with land borders too. In fact, in my experience, it happens on all of them!

Good to know! It's the first time I'd ever seen that but it's also the first time I had random camps set above low.

19. What would be a good map for a spec-ops style, nvg wearing, fly in, blow stuff up and get the heck out kind of mission? Something with a decent amount of enterable buildings and not super small I think would make the most sense. I'd love some suggestions.

I'm thinking of setting up something with a small fire team and auto-generated tasking. We'll likely use a helicopter only to move around so it should probably play nice with elevation (sorry CLAfghan). It can be from any part of the world. I just want to feel like I'm descending into hell when we fastrope out of the chopper. :)

I'm open to ideas. Just don't want to spend the next several days just download maps only to not like them or whatever.

20. N'Ziwasogo (jungle theme)
    Lingor
    Gorgona (small but good)
    Isola de Capraia (has cool floating airfield in NW corner)

21. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Yeah so I scouted N'Ziwasogo last night and it's awesome!!!! But what the hell is up with that bird sound??? It would drive me insane. :( Really a damn shame because it would be damn perfect but my OCD can't take it.

Thanks for the suggestions!

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!