ORBAT Creator General FAQ

1. ‹ Older
  2. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by SenorTactician

Is there any way to have assets from other factions (like vehicles) be brought into the faction you're creating?

EDIT: Found, simply changed the faction list and found it.

3. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Are you asking about importing the config for an individual vehicle rather than the entire faction (and then deleting every other asset from that faction one by one)?

I actually messaged Ski2060 about this because I wasn't sure myself. I want to use one vehicle from a mod and don't want to have to import the configs for the entire faction to get it. Doing that would mean a lot of backtracking and deleting units and groups. He said he thought there was a way to import the config from just one unit but I have to check on that later when I get home.

4. Are you able to change side with the creator?

Like will I actually be able to achieve my insurgency dream and create an OPFOR faction out of armed civilians?

5. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Yes! :) You can select their side from a dropdown in the faction creation area.

I'm working on a civ-themed Taliban faction as we speak, mixing Project OPFOR's Middle East Milita in Eric J's Taliban clothing (with some tweaks to vests and headgear too, etc). And I'm having fun with it as well.

This is one of the best features ever.

6. Oh my.... that just makes me all wiggly

7. I still can't figure out how to get my units showing in Zeus. I placed all the new unit classnames into the cfgPatches file as indicated, in the syntax as abave, but I still don't show them in Zeus.

Can we get a full run through on how to do that for those of us that require crayon drawings to get stuff done in Arma?

8. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

1. What's the recommended way to edit a saved ORBAT faction? I know it's recommended not to edit an existing faction. Can I just select it, make some tweaks and export th new config to clipboard or should I "start over" and import the configs from my new faction and rename it?

Just export it, create a pbo with the exported code. Then when you want to continue working, select the faction and import the units and go.

Are you able to change side with the creator?

Yes, just make sure to hit the "Save Properties" button after changing the dropdown list. Like most things, this'll be simpler in the future, but due to lack of time to finish my updates it'll have to do.

9. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

So here's a pretty decent first draft for a Taliban faction using RHS US, RHS Rus, Project OPFOR and Eric J's Taliban units:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgqyhqii9pfst30/%40HV_Taliban.zip?dl=0

The custom faction is HV_Taliban and it consists of infantry and a few variations of motorized units. Eric J's Afghan civs are classname AFGCIV and they work just great as well.

Edit: For those of you who use Spyder's Ambience module, here are the classnames for the custom Taliban faction: http://pastebin.com/SNMnDu7s

And Eric J's Afghan civs: http://pastebin.com/tAFkVJ9K

10. Finally get some free time starting tomorrow afternoon, will start looking into central repository where we can store created factions.

11. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Awesome. Thanks Spyder. I'll be sure to keep the DL link the same if I decided to edit the faction further (I'd recommend everybody try to do that so Spyder doesn't have to update the repository with new links everytime someone tweaks something). I know AuTigerGrad and Ski2060 are working on great things too so that would be amazing to have a repository. I appreciate it. ORBAT is not only excellent but fun to use as well. You guys did a great job.

12. Edited 7 years ago by AUTigerGrad

FYI folks so no one does double work...

I'm making multiple British factions to start.

Tropical Gear
    MTP Gear
    Desert Gear

I already have a British MTP done, just need to get all of the classnames into the config.hpp so they show in Zeus. (Or until Spyder releases a newer ORBAT version that does this automatically *wink wink*). I am redoing both the Tropical and Desert gear factions.

Mods I'll be using

3CB
    CUP
    Beazly's MAN Truck Retextures
    Burnes Foxhound
    Burnes Panther
    Burnes Husky

I may also use the UK SAS Equipment mod to create some SAS units but I'll leave that one out for now.

I'll be making both CUP and Non CUP versions as I know several groups use RHS instead of CUP as their main unit mod. However, know that CUP version will be much more robust as it will include British APCs, Mastiffs, Wolfhounds, and Ridgebacks..as well as a Challenger Main Battle Tank which is confirmed for the next CUP release.

So I've got the Brits covered.

13. I'll be working on a Pacific Pirates faction that uses the Syndikat as it's base. They will be getting expanded vehicle assets and groups, as well as some heavy weapon support.
    I will make a pure vanilla version, and then an RHS RUS version to bring in their weapons and vehicles.

We really need some more naval assets for Pirate/Offshore use. Dinghy's, dhows, small mothercraft, Oil Rigs, etc.

14. FYI, I think I'll also do a Taliban faction ORBAT that can be used without RHS.

I'll use Eric J's Taliban armed with NIArns AK pack.

I also think that I'll be replacing all of my CA Aggressor missions with that combo.

15. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

That's a good idea. I decided to use RHS/Project OPFOR because I know that those two are extremely popular mods that most people already have (my goal is for people to actually use the ORBAT faction :) ) but that is a very efficient plan you have there as it would cut dependencies down even further. I like it.

One added benefit to using Project OPFOR though is Keeyway/Leight do have some decent clothing to pick from (the ones that don't have flickering texture issues, anyway), especially vests and for units with a slightly more militant look some of the modern day Taliban use. Most of the units I put together do inherit mostly from Eric J (I'm going for a more civilian looking faction as well) but I did mix in a few dudes with head wraps and camo backpacks and ANA vests which needs those additional dependencies.

The good news with your idea is Eric J has a pickup with technical included so you'll have motorized covered and if NIArns Pack has some good equipment (I've never used it) I'm sure it will turn out lovely. Looking forward to it!

16. This version will be aimed at CUP users. The benefit being...

1. Can use CUP vehicles to augment
    2. CUP still doesn't have Afghan Civs yet. Eric J does.
    3. For texture snobs, NIArms AKs will fill their need without using CUP AKs.
  17. Friznit

19 Sep 2016 Administrator

Thinking of where to host all these custom factions. Forums and Github aren't really ideal. Perhaps a shared google drive folder?

18. Good idea Friz. We do need an area to describe the faction and mods needed to run the faction though.

19. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Google Drive can still accomplish that. Separate factions by folder, put a readme in each one.

Maybe a shared folder that verified creators can access.

20. Friznit

19 Sep 2016 Administrator

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5R8WkcGUL8pT3BJdklhclN0V28?usp=sharing

21. Thanks Friznit.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!