ORBAT Creator General FAQ

1. ‹ Older
  2. 7 years ago

I think it was because I threw my faction code inside a Code spoiler and it was very long. I thought I broke the forums or something.

Stuff is still showing up in Editor in Alive, but not showing as Zeus units.

3. Out of curiosity @ski2060 are you running ares or the other one?

4. Edited 7 years ago by ski2060

Ares or Achilles? Yes, but not for checking out the new ORBAT stuff. I've been using minimal mods, CBA, ACE, ALIVE.
    Edit: Actually, not even ACE for testing purposes. Just CBA and Alive for checking the faction PBO.
    Maybe I should try with Achilles on...

5. @ski2060 curious to know if you had any luck with Achilles. I haven't tried running vanilla Zeus but with the addons it shows up.

6. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Figured out why units weren't showing in Zeus

You must take all of the new unit classnames generated in your autogen.hpp and copy them to the CfgPatches.cpp in the same folder as the autogen.hpp file.

For example:

This output: https://gist.github.com/SpyderBlack723/63648d440c74418925884b44b9ea8abf

Would lead to this in the CfgPatches.cpp:

units[] = {
        "O_Heyooooo_Super_Cool_Unit_1_01",
        "O_Heyooooo_Super_Cool_Unit_4_01",
        "O_Heyooooo_Super_Cool_Unit_3_01",
        "O_Heyooooo_Super_Cool_Unit_5_01",
        "O_Heyooooo_Super_Cool_Unit_2_01"
    };

Pretty lame really but w/e

Will add some output in the future that lists all of the units generated in the current export so you don't have to manually gather them.

7. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

I'm really not having any luck with this. The only way I see to make a faction is to import the config class of a current faction so hopefully that's the right way to start. So I select the faction I want to use as a base, I rename it so I don't overwrite the original one, and begin editing the units (changing their original classnames, etc).

After I edit a unit's loadout, I then edit its properties and I think maybe this is where I'm getting tripped up? The left column (name, classname, side and faction) all seem to work just fine but the right side (unit type) is confusing. The first thing I notice is when trying to set side and the faction, when I go to the men/armored/cars/static dropdown, I only have the option for selecting the original mod's unit name (Warload, Bonesetter, etc) . Not sure if that's normal. But what's also happening is that after selecting the unit type and clicking confirm, it doesn't stick.

I'm sure I'm not making the most sense so here are some photos. This is what it looks like when I edit the properties for the first time. Again, I'm sure it's intentional, but notice on the how I tried to name the original Warlord into Team Leader here but can only select existing roles within the mod (and note, I have tried keeping the original unit names like "Warlord" in both lists as well).

http://imgur.com/a/dc9Nh

But also, and this is where I assume things must be going wrong, notice what happens after I click confirm and then open the unit's propterties again. Is that normal?

http://imgur.com/a/4dip9

They all become classified as FIA Boats.

Anyway, assuming that was a bug and no big deal, I finished up the mod, making sure to replace all the original classnames for all units (and making sure all the groups only contained my new units), but after packing it up into a PBO, only one group (which is invisible) and none of the individual units are showing up in the editor. My generated config reflects that, seen here: http://pastebin.com/mTxeFdzZ

I can't even begin to guess what I'm doing wrong. Do I need to import the configs for all of the factions (I imported Project OPFOR's Middle East Militia and gave them CAF clothing in the unit editor. I did not import CAF's units but I didn't want their units. I just wanted their clothing. Maybe that's it?)?

Although ideally with this one I'd basically like to just edit an existing faction (adding different clothing), I'd also like to know how to make one from scratch if it's possible using just the assets I have loaded if someone can help me with that too.

8. Edited 7 years ago by Docbuck

@

@HeroesandvillainsOS  So I select the faction I want to use as a base, I rename it so I don't overwrite the original one, and begin editing the units (changing their original classnames, etc).

Unless you explained it wrong, misstep is here.

Select the faction you want, then go to the edit units screen and import all the units from that faction, THEN before you change the units, go back and change the factions name and save it.

Once you do that, you can go in and edit the units. I change properties first, just bc I don't know. It is possible that's required, otherwise any loadout changes get overwritten when you create the "new" unit, similar to when you create the new faction. Spyder would be best to confirm or deny this. So yeah, since we can't rule this out as another possible misstep I say just try defining unit first and getting it on the list, THEN go in and edit loadout.

Anyway, To explain that unit creation screen (as far as I understand it):

The left half is the unit you are making. The right half is the already existing unit you want to use as a template. Whatever you don't change will be inherited from that unit, if it is defined.

As far as I can tell, there is still some work to be done on the system remembering your choices if you re-open that screen. You are correct. Currently, the right half clears if you close preferences, then go back and try to change them again. Because of this I've been careful to ensure I get properties right on the first go round, or I try to remember exactly what was on the right half if I have to make changes.

After you create the custom units you want, they should be at the bottom of the units list, and should retain whatever loadouts you set. That done, you create the groups you want. There will be a bunch of groups there that existed inside the original faction, and they will all be populated with the original factions units. If you don't change the class names of every unit at the beginning they should still work. You can create whatever custom groups you want at this point by creating a group on the right side, naming it and giving it a class, then saving. After, simply choose which unit you want to add from the left side, and click add unit to group or whatever it says.

Once you've created your custom units and groups, go back to the faction screen and export, and do that whole thing.

That's the process that works for me. First select faction, then go to edit units and import the originals, then go back to edit faction, change its properties and save. Then go back to edit units and make your custom units, being careful to ensure you don't mess the properties up until that's fixed. Then go make your custom groups. Then go back to faction, export. Pack as pbo, etc.

As a note, it sounds like we are working on the same factions. Massi's African Units or the Project OpFOR. What is your objective? Maybe we can split the load.

9. Oh well that sounds perfect. I'm off to try it! I was definitely doing it totally wrong then. Oops. :(

I'm making a Taliban faction. Or well, trying to at least. Originally I was mixing Project OPFOR's Middle East Militia with CAF clothing, trying to add more of a civilian flair to the units, but now I'm debating on mixing Project OPFOR with Eric J's Taliban clothing instead of CAF (they're much higher quality).

I've yet to explore CUP Takistani's as an option yet. But since I prefer RHS over CUP for my BLUFOR anyway, I figure doing it with Project OPFOR as a base might be a decent option for keeping dependencies down. I realize Keeyway is planning on adding his own Taliban but who knows when his update will be.

If that's something you want to work on yeah I'm game. :)

10. As far as I can tell, there is still some work to be done on the system remembering your choices if you re-open that screen. You are correct. Currently, the right half clears if you close preferences, then go back and try to change them again. Because of this I've been careful to ensure I get properties right on the first go round, or I try to remember exactly what was on the right half if I have to make changes.

This shouldn't be the case, but it should be fixed in the future since it is not occurring on my local copy.

11. It's all good man, just letting him know I noticed it too. It's a free product and you're on your own time, do your thing! Besides, it's in alpha and it's still better than what BIS could come up with.

12. @HeroesandvillainsOS 
    At the moment I'm giving Massi's units RHS weaponry and ACE 3 stuff, because I positively can't stand his AK sounds but the units look great.

After that I'm working on better civilian groups and factions, and some specialized stuff like VIPs and hostages and what not, that can be used with alive. I mean to ask spyder about combining alive with vanilla missions that spawn stuff in on a trigger... Idea is to combine ALiVE's dynamic nature with the capability to also have intricately scripted missions to take part in, something SQF and Eden are actually really good at. But I'm not there yet.

If you happen to know of a mod with up aramor SUV's and vip cars, that'd be great lol. Can't find anything.

13. Your faction sounds like it will be great. Please share it when you're done. :)

I've made a few missions with scripted tasks (usually involving triggers placed on the map) but I don't think any of them would be persistent due to the nature of how ALiVE persistence saves. They're designed for either SP or single session saves. YouTube is an excellent resource for this, as is r/armadev on Reddit and the mission editing and scripting section on BIS forums for general questions on that stuff (I've asked quite a few myself!).

I don't really know too much about real life weapons and gear. I mean, I can recognize shapes and patterns and general aesthetic, but let's just say most of the RHS thread on BIS is all Greek to me because all they talk about are bullet calibers. :) I can't say any recommendation for a mod with armored SUV's I'd give you would mean too much. I see big cool looking truck. Everyone else sees tire pressure and moldings and model numbers and know the years they fought in the war. :(

14. Edited 7 years ago by Docbuck

Heh, yeah I'm an old military guy so that type of stuff comes in to play a bit for me. People have done a great job with the assets that exist though, very close or spot on. Especially massi and RHS, but RHS does a better job with vehicles and weapons, and it works with Jsrs. Massi does a better job with high speed uniforms and such, and an outstanding job with OPFOR. And now thanks to @SpyderBlack723 idiots like myself can combine the two no problem!

More than anything else, it's the map that has to feel right for me. I can't play on Fallujah for example, because it just totally breaks my experience lol. Not that they didn't do a great job, just... Not Fallujah is all.

Anyhow... Ok so I was under the impression that the types of missions I'm talking about could be multiplayer now, and that they supported persistence and saves out of the box. Such news that that's not the case makes me very sad, if it's true. How's the apex campaign work, then?

And sure when I'm done I'll share.

15. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

A dev would have to elaborate on exactly what's capable of persisting between War Room Sessions and what isn't. From what I can gather, it does an amazing job at saving what it's "supposed to," but let's say you make an HVT task based mission with some task modules and a task start and task complete trigger.

From what I can tell, trigger state I don't think gets checked upon persistent saving so it would revert to its original state when the mission was loaded with persistence. Is that making sense?

ALiVE persistence from what I can gather checks for everything you can imagine but as long as you're imagining ALiVE based functions. This is why they have C2ISTAR tasks for more straight forward missions, for example. As far as I can tell, user made ones don't if they follow a typical module/trigger method of being created. For those types of missions, I make them so they can be finished within one co-op or SP session. If you want to talk more on this, shoot me a PM. :)

And hey man, you're a genius! My Taliban faction works now! I mean, it's not done, but it's playable. I had some additional mods loaded, but it *should* only require RHS US,RHS RUS, Project OPFOR and Eric J's Taliban:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgqyhqii9pfst30/%40HV_Taliban.zip?dl=0

Faction name is HV_Taliban and it inherits all of Project OPFOR's Middle East Militia unit classes and infantry and motorized groupings. I have some things I want to tweak and I want to add a civ faction but this definitely gets across my basic idea so thanks for the help!!!

16. I'll shoot you a pm in the morning, regarding more defined missions. I'm understanding what you're saying, but just so hopefully a dev sees and answers, I was referring to vanilla Arma 3 server behavior. I thought that with the release of apex it would now persist multiplayer missions. I'm probably wrong, but then.. Apex is a multiplayer campaign using all the standard triggers and such, and you can play over multiple server based MP sessions, so I dunno.

I'll check your faction out, glad you were able to get it working :). I seriously picked up Arma like a few months ago, so don't look at me for too many more fixes, lol. I'm
    still at the "how do I get them to go into the damned boat" phase of scripting.

One last question. Most factions don't have boats... And I'm working on a Tanoa thing. If I spawn empty opfor boats, and put the faction I'm using in them, they just sit there. My suspicion is that it's because the boats themselves come from a different faction. But I don't want the OPCOM spawning CSAT stuff, so I can't give him control over it.. Little lost on how to implement, besides making a custom faction of course.

17. Don't bother with the last question. I just made a few pirate boat groups using project OPFOR and vanilla boats, called it African Pirates. It worked fine, took 15 minutes. Can't ask for better than that! Of course, I have to see if OPCOM is smart enough to move those boats to another island and offload the troops, but that's a whole different can of worms.

18. The AI commander will control the boat, as long as it's synced to the Virtual AI module (or virtualized) and the boat's faction name is in the commander module (so if it's a CSAT boat, you'd need to have OPF_F in the commander module).

Back on topic: I have a few more tweaks to make with the Taliban faction. I have a new appreciate for mod makers because you definitely can't layer units the way I wish you could. I also need to replace the Landrover M2 because for whatever reason, the gunner floats above the gun.

Two questions to anyone that may know:

1. What's the recommended way to edit a saved ORBAT faction? I know it's recommended not to edit an existing faction. Can I just select it, make some tweaks and export th new config to clipboard or should I "start over" and import the configs from my new faction and rename it?

2. What's the proper way to get units inside the vehicles for motorized units? It seems only driver and gunner get in, but at least in the editor, the other units just stand beside the vehicle (haven't checked to see if they teleport inside them in-game yet though).

19. Edited 7 years ago by Docbuck

@HeroesandvillainsOS  Two questions to anyone that may know:

1. What's the recommended way to edit a saved ORBAT faction? I know it's recommended not to edit an existing faction. Can I just select it, make some tweaks and export th new config to clipboard or should I "start over" and import the configs from my new faction and rename it?

2. What's the proper way to get units inside the vehicles for motorized units? It seems only driver and gunner get in, but at least in the editor, the other units just stand beside the vehicle (haven't checked to see if they teleport inside them in-game yet though).

1. I believe the caution is not to edit someone else's faction unless you know it in and out. However if it's your faction I don't see a problem editing in the config file or using the ORBAT to change things up and re-export. For example I just made those pirates and accidentally had an extra unit in one of the boats. I simply deleted that unit from the group config and adjusted the numbers of the rest, then recompiled the PBO. Worked fine.

2. I am having the exact same issue. I know that you can move them into the vehicle by dragging in Eden, and I know that typically as soon as the leader gets an order he'll command the group into the vehicle. But as far as ensuring that happens... The init field of the leader might work. Command get in, or whatever it is. I believe you can even define the init field code from within the config. Or you can write a script and have the init field of the leader call it. Something like that.

20. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Thanks. I need them to get in automatically like they normally do with ALiVE because I rely on ALiVE to spawn these units without scripts. I'll check later to see if it does this organically when spawned in mission.

21. I would suggest building out a simple mission to show spawns of your ORBAT faction, place a Zeus module down, and load the mission up in LAN Multiplayer. That will give you an idea of how OpCOM will handle those vehicles with added infantry units.

I made an ATV and Offroad truck with extra units, and they will spawn and load into the vehicles under OpCom control.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!