Combat Support: Transport Slingloading

1. 7 years ago

Tupolov

28 Jun 2016 Administrator

2. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Haha! Wow Tupolov! You genius!

Two quick things I couldn't tell from the video. Unless I missed something, I didn't see you click on a specific crate (just a general area near the crate). How does it know what to pick up? You had several crates there.

Is it designed to pick up logistics supplies or should mission makers take extra care in peppering their bases with extra supply boxes? And are vehicles possible to pick up?

Anyway, this is so amazing. I just started a thread on BIS a few days ago asking about sling-loading and now I don't need it because ALiVE can do it for me. :)

Brilliant.

3. Tupolov

The Helicopter will grab the nearest slingable object to the position set. Its very difficult to control this... so:

1. You have to make it very easy for the pilot to know what to slingload. The LZ has to be clear except for the item (you can see from the video how close things can be)

2. Yes vehicles are possible (if they are slingloadable) - check the player resupply video I just posted...

4. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Yep. I just did. I'm...I'm...

I don't know what to say. I'm just so impressed. :)

I see what you mean about needing ample space.

Let's say it's mid-mission and I don't have any supplies in the LZ. What would the advised method be for getting supply crates (etc) into the landing zone? Having a logistics chopper drop some off (earlier on when I don't "need" the supplies) then calling it back in to pick it up?

EDIT: I'm sort of confusing myself here with my own question. Obviously we can already have supplies delivered to us at any time and obviously the new sling loading mechanic would let us have the box picked up at a future time..

You can safely ignore the above question. I'm so impressed I'm flustered and confusing myself. You're blowing my mind Tupolov!

5. Tupolov

Edited 7 years ago by Tupolov

Player Resupply should be used to get new supplies to you out in the AO.

Transport is there to slingload your vehicles to another location. Alternatively, you can use player logistics to put items into containers and then have the transport move them for you.

So PR is for new supplies. Transport is for existing supplies.

6. Yeah I edited my post a little too late. It was a stupid question on my end. :)

Thanks for this Tupolov. It's going to add so many possibilities I'm just beside myself with happiness. I imagine this wasn't an easy task so again, thank you.

7. Tupolov

Wait until the AI can use it too :)

8. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

You're killing me here Tupolov...

9. Friznit

And that's not even mentioning what Spyder's been up to... ;)

10. *keels over from heart attack*

11. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

I've made ALIVE capable of detecting low fps situations! If one is detected, ALIVE automatically downloads more RAM to keep that framerate rollin' strong!

Bugs may include unauthorized purchasing of new CPU's

12. OMG! You guys are awesome!!!! I guess I'm gonna have to donate again :)

13. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@SpyderBlack723 I've made ALIVE capable of detecting low fps situations! If one is detected, ALIVE automatically downloads more RAM to keep that framerate rollin' strong!

Bugs may include unauthorized purchasing of new CPU's

Wait really? Or are you joking? This has to be a joke, yeah? I mean obviously this would be a dream come true for people but how would that even be possible?

Should I slowly back away or hug you? Hmmmm....

Can't tell if kidding. :(

14. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

I'm gonna do it. Batallion 10,000 in the overrides.

I swear I'll do it.......

*computer explodes*

15. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/download-more-ram

;)

16. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Generally speaking, this is me: http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/975643

17. Edited 7 years ago by marceldev89

It would be nice if the things that are being worked on are made visible on GitHub (e.g. with WIP pull requests) similar to how ACE3 does things. This would avoid a lot of potential duplicate work. I know there haven't been a lot of contributions on GitHub yet but I plan to change that at some point. ^^

If that workflow isn't possible, is there a dev channel where one can follow what's happening and stuff (besides the commit history on GitHub)?

18. Tupolov

29 Jun 2016 Administrator

Its in github already, all the code has been committed. Is that what you mean?

19. Edited 7 years ago by marceldev89

Wasn't specifically talking about this, just development in general but figured I'd ask here.

20. Friznit

29 Jun 2016 Administrator
    Edited 7 years ago by Friznit

They should be using PR's.... devs are too used to pushing directly to master though!

We tend to discuss everything on slack so when you want to get stuck in give us a shout and I'll ping you an invite

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!