CAF Agg

1. ‹ Older
  2. 7 years ago

Probably not but could it be as simple as me needing to put a comma at the end of the force faction line? Off to the wiki! Never needed to do that before but it just popped into my head so we'll see.

No no, don't put a comma at the end of the line, only separate each entry with a comma.

3. LOL! I'm sure it's just the faction being configured wrong. It's just weird no one else is seeing this but me but I also doubt lots of people find joy or reason to teleport around their missions for hours and hours either. I'll just redownload the mod and see and just switch over to CUP once they finish their Takistani civs if all else fails.

4. I think they even were doing the jihad battle cries. LOL!

If even the OPF_F units that spawned were using CAF voices, the mod is broken.

5. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

99% sure on that so thanks for the confirmation. I can't be 100% certain because I was surrounded in an intense battle by CSAT and Taliban. When I saw the bug helmets I enabled teleporting and it indeed sounded like the jihadi battle cries were coming from CSAT. Though in the map the little red icons were "correctly" labeled as CSAT units (medic, sniper, etc).

I kinda figured something was amiss when one of my AI guys called out for an enemy medic. I was like, oh hell no not again. CAF doesn't have any medics...

I'll just redownload the mod but at this point I highly doubt it would even help. Seems doubtful to me CAF would spawn at all if the mod was corrupted but who knows...

6. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

So I've spent a lot of time with this since last night and I think I've hit a brick wall. I even tried changing my faction to CUP Takistanis and I'm still having the issue with CSAT and IND Guerillas spawning (though note, I did not remove the CAF civilians).

So I did quite a few things, but the two most important.

1. I ran a test with CAF only on Stratis. No BLUFOR at all other than one player guy to teleport around with and interestingly enough I could not duplicate the issue. So obviously it's a mod conflict or bad script in my missions, right? Well...not exactly...

2. I jumped into AuTigerGrad's British Steel. The best part about that mission for this test is it uses identical mods to my missions. You can run his load order and launch my missions no problem. So surly I'd be able to duplicate this issue there. Except I can't. I cannot duplicate the error in his British Steel mission.

So I spent a good deal of time looking at the differences between his mission and my missions (I also removed all my mission files aside from mission.sqm to test). We definitely take similar approaches but still differences are there. For one, he's yet to have added the Intel on dead bodies. I removed it from mine and the issue still occurs.

He uses the 'only virtualize synced units option' and I use the other. I switched it and the error still occurs. He manually defines the units in the mil/civ modules whereas I rely on the preset platoon/company sizes. I switched it and the error still occurs. He has installations set for CAF to unused. I had it in medium and changing that did not help.

I've systematically gone through every difference between his mission and my missions and nothing I do makes this stop. If I consider maybe it's just a map issue (his mission is on Sangin) that's a fair, except this isn't just one map for me. This is on Takistan, Isola Di Capraia, N'Ziwasogo and Reshmaan Province.

The only thing left is maybe this is just a stupid mistake on my part and at this point I'd love if someone would take a look at my modules for me. If even switching factions isn't helping I'd have to assume maybe I made a mistake somewhere? The behavior is kind of interesting, when IND spawns I can see them briefly flash green on the map before they turn red and are then fully in the game world. For CSAT it's a bit different because they start red virtualized and spawn red too. Even when I let ALiVE virtualize them again, when I teleport back it's the same guys, sometimes even part of a CAF squad (so like 4 CSAT and 6 CAF in a 10 man squad).

7. Have to say it is an odd one and clearly beginning to effect your sanity! I bet you are one step away from have post it notes all over the walls representing each module with string linking them!

Wish I could help! Have you tried looking at the auto tasking?

8. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

No kidding. LOL! Yep tried both with and without. I'll post my most simplest mission file later. This particular mission has no BLUFOR OPCOM so should be the easiest to spot an issue with. There's only a handful of total modules and I'm sure it's something stupid and simple.

I'd say I've put a solid 10 hours now troubleshooting this and really would appreciate a second set of eyes. I'm stumped.

9. Well I wouldn't have a clue what to look for but I'd be happy to try and run it the same to see if I get them appearing.

Out of interest have you tested it on editor only or have you also tested it running on your dedi server?

10. For what it's worth, we ran caf with RHS all weekend on Takistan and not once did we see any other units.

When you post up your simple mission I'll give it a shot and see if I can't replicate it for you.

11. @HeroesandvillainsOS  when you post it can you put in what mods it uses.
    Is there any consistency as to where ore when they appear?

12. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@Sheeps I originally noticed this problem while playing on my server and have been troubleshooting the cause ever since. I think the reason I didn't catch the problem earlier is because I'm estimating this to happen at about a 5% failure rate. If 60 units comprised of 4-10 OPFOR spawn, 1-2 groups may consist of vanilla fighters. You could technicaly play for hours and not notice the problem. Sometimes it's only a handful of soldiers on a map with well over a hundred or hundreds.

The easiest way I find to actually test this is to start the mission in the SP editor and then type player allowDamage false; into the debug console and then click local exec. Then, through the commander tablet I enable teleporting and turn the debug on for the Virtual AI module. The map will then be filled with red enemy unit markers. When you teleport to these red markers and ALiVE virtualizes the soldiers, on the in-game map I hover my mouse over the soldiers and simply read what it says. This is much faster than physically trying to identifying them. If it says any word that begins with "Fighter" (example, Fighter AK47 or Fighter SVD), this is CAF Taliban. If the name says "Recon" or "Medic" or anything else, I know then it's a vanilla enemy.

Here's two missions. One is a super simple setup on Isola Di Capraia and the other, for anyone not inclined to download a map pack just to help me, is a slightly more complex mission on Takistan. The mod requirements are the same aside from the former needing the Isola Di Capraia map (I use AiA on that one and CUP on Takistan but CUP should work for both). The mods:

CBA
    ALiVE
    Spyder Addons
    3CB Weapons
    3CB Equipment
    3CB Vehicles
    3CB Units
    CAF Aggressors
    CAF Audio Patch
    Burnes Foxhound (download link if needed: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8kommnftolowc8f/AADMGYDJJ8Mtns3ZKbd8EbiCa?dl=0 )
    CUP Terrains
    Isola Di Capraia (for one of the missions)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tmkh4h26cw9a2op/Operation_Hellhound.IsolaDiCapraia.pbo?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3i9amoa8l1aq1s9/Parasol.Takistan.pbo?dl=0

13. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Currently rebuilding the Isola Di Capraia mission from scratch essentially, leaving only my base and laying modules down one at a time and teleporting to every enemy on the map. Though I've deleted every module and replaced them already, this time I'm starting fresh, starting with OPCOM and moving to the placement modules, then IED, etc.

What I'm thinking is this is still related to errors similar to my other unrelated issues documented on the forums here. After having laid down just OPCOM, then civ and mil placement, I teleported to every unit and the issue was gone. Then, I added back enemy Intel on dead bodies and the issue immediately occurred after an error related to this new feature popped up on the screen (it happens so fast I didn't have a chance to take a screenshot of the error). Currently working my way up from there leaving that feature out and seeing what else or if any other errors are to blame.

Also, I have to say watching this unfold in the map has given me an even greater appreciation for the programming of this mod. I see how certain soldiers spawn in purple (rather than red) and are just called "man." And then how they are invisible until ALiVE determines which faction it's going to override for them and then how they teleport into formation and appear as the correct unit. I also see this with a generic red soldier called "rifleman" which also has pretty similar behavior. It's pretty cool to see and shows how ingenious this mod is.

EDIT: Alright, calling it quits for the night. I made some progress though in a couple missions. I've made it up to successfully getting OPFOR's OPCOM, mil/civ obj modules, IED and CQB modules all up and running and the issue is not happening. But, the second I add the Intel to dead bodies and/or add any custom obj modules (with a "1" motorized override, for instance. I do this to add more enemy vehicles on the map, etc), the problem happens again. So I'm making some progress but I'm still feeling pretty restricted for populating the missions the way I'd like.

14. Hmmmmm interesting. I don't have Intel on bodies yet! I shall pop it on when I'm off night shifts and see what happens.

15. Have you tried deleting CAF and re-downloading it? Possibly a corrupt mod? (I assume you've done this already but just checking). Perhaps there is a weird issue with CAF and ALiVE intel that doesn't appear in other mods?

With regards to your comments re: soldiers spawning in purple, etc. Note that the in-game "units appearing on map" intel is not 100% accurate - it's based on what your character 'sees'. So when you see the purple guys called 'Man' on the map that is because your character does not have enough information to determine what side/unit it is. This is based (I believe) on the knowsAbout value which will increase over time/distance until your char knows what side and type of unit he's seeing.

Same goes for the generic red "rifleman" soldier - so your character knows enough info to determine it's side but not the type.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/knowsAbout

16. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@Sheeps

Please don't get me wrong on accusing this amazing new feature of being the source of my problem (or rather, that it will inevitably be a source of problems for YOU). I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that something during the course of developing my missions, which has been several months, that something in the mission.sqm's became corrupted across the board.

What I'm thinking is this this is why totally deleting every single OPFOR related asset and module and laying them down all over again is helping. Perhaps ALiVE writes to the mission.sqm more cleanly when OPCOM is plopped down first, then the obj modules/IED/CQB? Hard to say but I am leaning towards module placement order mattering in someway. For instance, doing this has elminated a specific CAF error No entry 'bin\config.bin\cfgweapons U_CAF_AG_ME_R OBES_02d'.

Now, why this problem occurs again when adding Intel on dead bodies I have no idea, but the problem happens as soon as the error hits. Now even though the error disappears when I just remove the Intel option, the vanilla units problem suddenly will not if I had already turned it on once and I need to delete all the modules again start over.

Also, adding any custom objective modules set to spawn units also causes this issue too independently of the Intel option so I still have not figured this yet. The custom objective modules don't cause any errors!

Still stumped but working through the issue. I'd still love a second set of eyes on this if anyone feels like poking around. I think I have a *fixed* version of Isola Di Capraia now but not knowing why this is happening is making me hesitant to tinker any further because I'll never know what thing I added that will cause me to delete it all and start over again.

This is a crazy issue and I think only someone smarter than me will truly be able to find out what exactly is going on.

17. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@SavageCDN Have you tried deleting CAF and re-downloading it? Possibly a corrupt mod? (I assume you've done this already but just checking). Perhaps there is a weird issue with CAF and ALiVE intel that doesn't appear in other mods?

With regards to your comments re: soldiers spawning in purple, etc. Note that the in-game "units appearing on map" intel is not 100% accurate - it's based on what your character 'sees'. So when you see the purple guys called 'Man' on the map that is because your character does not have enough information to determine what side/unit it is. This is based (I believe) on the knowsAbout value which will increase over time/distance until your char knows what side and type of unit he's seeing.

Same goes for the generic red "rifleman" soldier - so your character knows enough info to determine it's side but not the type.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/knowsAbout

Thanks for clarifying that. During my testing I've never assumed these soldiers would end up being what the map says. Any time I see either "rifleman" or "man" I teleport around the units until they are properly named. Testing even a small map fully takes about 20-30 minutes.

Yes I've not only redownloaded CAF but I've also redownload ALiVE and used older versions of CAF to test too, along with CUP Takistani's. It's like my mission.sqm was/is just fucked.

What I don't get is why I can start over with the modules, have everything go ok, but still reaching a choking point where any additional module makes the problem come back. This is why I don't want to blame the custom obj modules or the Intel thing. I really don't know enough about the systems to know anything other than starting cleanly helps, but only to a certain point.

18. @HeroesandvillainsOS  don't worry dude. We all know this is a sweet mod. It's finding bugs and sorting them that will improve it. One thing I've learnt from alive is that the creators seem really open and down to earth. I think that is pat of its success.

19. I'm going to start a new topic on this issue. All of the steps I've taken that I thought I was making progress with (deleting and replacing all OPFOR modules, not using the Intel on dead bodies feature due to the error, etc) have ultimately proven not to work. And considering I was able to duplicate this with CUP Takistani's this probably isn't the appropriate place to discuss this any further.

20. Time to start sacraficing for the Arma gods

or Sign Up to reply!