Middle Eastern Insurgents/Civilians Question

1. 8 years ago
    Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Hi everyone. It looks like a lot of these factions got beat up pretty bad over the last few official BIS updates. As it stands now, is CAF Aggressors the only Middle Eastern faction (that contains OPFOR and civilians) currently working with ALiVE right now? I see CAF hasn't been updated in forever so is that genuinely still working either?

I've played a few missions that included CAF since 1.54 but I've been having so many issues with ARMA in general recently I figured it would just be safer to ask the experts before banging my head against a wall testing.

From what I can tell, Leights and Sub Insurgents don't work super well with ALiVE and I don't think Massi's Middle Eastern Warfare has been tested enough with ALiVE to make a determination one way or the other.

Is CAF it and is it still the only "officially" working faction even though it hasn't been updated in ages?

2. I know i used Leights opfor for having the IS insurgents and that worked fine. Its about 2 months ago so new patches might have broken it.

I assume that CAF still works, and i don't know of any other mods that do what CAF and Leights opfor do.

3. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Leights is almost certainly not working right with ALiVE. That kinda leaves CAF if we're talking about an OPFOR that includes a civilian faction, unless I'm missing something (hence the thread).

Does anyone know offhand if CAF includes units that have a chance to spawn in vehicles? I'm hoping not to have to mix and match insurgency factions from several mods. Surely there has to be one that includes civilians, insurgents and insurgent inside vehicle (with weapons mounted on vehicles) factions. I'm looking at CAF classnames and none of them obviously imply vehicles are included.

4. Massi has a new middle eastern warfare pack out. It's pretty good and updated to new bi additions and works will th ALiVE like all his other unit add-on packs.

5. I hear it still has issues with ALiVE. Over on BIS forums the last two posts mentioned classname errors.

Not only that, but I can't tell what the difference between the vehicles and non-vehicles versions are. The non-vehicles version looks like it has vehicles anyway so which version is more ALiVE insurgency friendly? I'm looking for something with mostly foot infantry with a small (but possible) chance of enemy vehicle spawns.

6. I've tried the MEC with and without the optional vehicle pbo/bisign but neither seem to actually spawn vehicles, also looking under groups it only lists infantry

7. Yeah it's weird. I haven't tried MEC yet but even with CAF Ag, I can't really tell if vehicles spawn organically either. I can definitely manually place them as the vehicle class shows in the editor.

The only one I know for sure does is Leights, but before his update yesterday, has problems with ALiVE.

8. Boy. Every once in a while I still search the forums and Google but there really aren't many choices out there. Is anyone having any luck with Massi's Middle East Conflict? I've heard from a few people it causes issues with ALiVE. As does Leights.

I guess I'm not having any obvious issues with CAF Aggressors, it's just that it's so old I'd prefer to switch to one being currently maintained.

There's CAF (old. No longer maintained).
    Leights (has issues with ALiVE apparently)
    MEC (said to have issues with ALiVE)
    IWAR (no civilians)
    Eric J's Taliban units (no civilians and no weapons)
    Sub Insurgents (old. No longer maintained)

Surly there's got to be an ALiVE working, currently maintained middle eastern faction out there with a civilian class. Am I missing anything?

9. Hi buddy! You're not missing anything I know about... I'm using a combination of Iraqi-Syrian Conflict for OPFOR and INDFOR with Leight's Takistani Civilians. Seems to work quite well on the dedicated server. You could also use CAF civilians with any of these packs. We really need a decent civilian pack! Wish I was a modder and had the skills/time but such is life.

10. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Hey thanks for chiming in! See, I think we discussed mixing factions before. But one thing kind of still confuses me. You know how some civilians can be carrying weapons on them in Assymetric missions? If I were to use CAF civs and Iraq Syrian OPFOR, how would the civs arm themselves? Would the CAF civs pull weapons from the Iraq Syrian weapons class?

11. Oh. And with Iraqi-Syrian, are you having any issues with ISIS vehicle damage? Do you need to use the Real Armor mod in conjunction with this or was it fixed when Massi and RHS updated their damage values recently? Just curious since you use it if there's anything I should be aware of.

Quote from Autigergrad from their BIS thread from back in Nov:

Just FYI for anyone using this pack... I just spent a couple of hours playtesting the different weapons packs against the Iraq Syrian vehicles. The "hodge podge" of some Massi vehicles, some RHS vehicles is definitely causing issues. For example...some of the ISIS tanks are impenetrable to CUP or RHS launchers but others blow up fine.

Obviously..this can cause some pretty big issues in game when using different launchers against different vehicles.

The fix I would recommend is to always use the Real Armor mod in conjunction with this mod. As soon as I restarted with RAM activated....the RHS launchers and CUP launchers were able to destroy all ISIS vehicles.

I figured some other folks who want to start using this pack should know that. Great pack and I'm glad I found a fix."

12. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Only a few civilian factions are supported in terms of using native weapons. But, the weapons are specified by the civilian faction itself, not the asymmetric faction. If a faction doesn't have any weapons defined, you can define them yourself as well.

You can refer to a post I made in this thread for more info on self-defining civilian weapons
    http://alivemod.com/forum/1451-hostile-civilian-weapons

13. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Ok. I think I get now why I see that staticdata.sqf file in all of Autigergrads's CAF Aggressors missions. LOL! He must be giving the the civilian class access to guns or weapons of some kind. Or at least without looking it would seem that way. Makes sense.

How can I tell which civilian classes have weapons natively? I'd like to confirm that this is necessary or not necessary with CAF. I just assumed all civ factions had no guns (hence, then being civilians) and pulled their gear automatically from OPFOR.

Learn something new every day!

14. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

CIV
    CIV_F
    mas_afr_civ
    caf_ag_afr_civ
    caf_ag_me_civ
    dirregularsC

Are covered

.. Full set of data
    http://pastebin.com/raw/zg7fPv1c

15. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Ok! Thanks. So no need for me to add the staticdata.sqf for caf_ag_me_civ then (unless I want to change the specific weapons)? Assymetric mode and the faction itself will handle all that automatically I take it?

16. Yep

17. @HeroesandvillainsOS  Boy. Every once in a while I still search the forums and Google but there really aren't many choices out there. Is anyone having any luck with Massi's Middle East Conflict? I've heard from a few people it causes issues with ALiVE. As does Leights.

Not sure about Leights, but I run MEW w/o vehicles (just his factions mod) and it works fine on CUP-Takistan.

18. Thanks Reiser. So is MEC foot infantry only without the vehicles?

19. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Incontinenetia, sorry to bug you but I figured I'd ask. I see you're using a combination of Leights civs and Iraq-Syrian OPFOR, correct? I think I know the answer but perhaps you could clarify?

Is there a reason you don't just use Leight's since you already have it enabled? I'm thinking the answer is related to Leight's having horrible configs and unit spawn numbers that don't mesh well with ALiVE. As well as the vehicle override not working properly. Is Iraq-Syrian wonderfully configured for ALiVE and I'm just not aware of it? I see it doesn't get much or any support so just wanted to pick your brain.

20. Leights works fine but the squad sizes are a bit on the large side and there isn't much variation in the deash style insurgents. They look kinda Afghan, whereas my scenario is more Kurdistan-based, so Iraqi Syria Conflict soldiers work better. That said, Dynasound messes with Massi's vehicles so the turrets don't make any noise and it also makes some of Massi's weapon sounds extremely quiet. Iraqi Syrian Conflict relies on these for the vehicle parts of the mod, which you can disable by taking out the vehicles PBO. So I use Leights purely for the vehicles of Leights ISTS faction, and Iraqi Syria Conflict for the rest. Of course, Leights ISTS troops also spawn but I like that as it gives a bit of variety. Plus there's Leight's Taki civs, who don't wear shorts like Massi's do, which makes it a bit more believable. I wouldn't go so far as to say there aren't any conflicts, but I haven't seen anything so far.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!