AI Commander Behaviour

1. 8 years ago

Just a quick and kinda vague question but was just wondering if there's any huge difference in the overall AI behaviour when changing the force size. For example will a company sized force make less use of air units etc than a battalion sized force? Essentially I'm hesitant to over-populate my missions but at the same time don't want to be missing out on some of the awesome stuff ALiVE commanders start to do once the game has been running for a while. Thanks in advance. And congrats to the devs for the milestone release!

2. Edited 8 years ago by incontinenetia

You can manually place air assets and sync them to the Virtual AI System and the appropriate OPCOM will use them (not your question I know, but might come in handy!). This way you can control the amount of air power OPCOM uses without worrying about ground force sizes. Same goes for assets of all types.

I strongly suspect the actual commander behaviour doesn't change in terms of tactics with the size of group (certainly not that I've seen), but with a higher availability of groups, more objectives will be attacked / occupied. The AI commander should use all available assets for this, regardless of total force numbers. Obviously, if there are two helos and 800 ground troops, those helos will have their responsibilities fairly spread out, but with 60 ground troops and 2 helos, you'll almost certainly have air cover (generally it is used for defending an objective against mechanised / armoured units rather than infantry assaults though).

That said, this may have changed in recent ALiVE versions! I know there was talk of using air power for assaults, not sure whether it was implemented or not.

or Sign Up to reply!