Question on Sabotage demo mission

1. 9 years ago

Hi all,

I am pretty new to ALiVE, been playing it for a while but since Hazey released his excellent insurgency mission recently, I started playing around in the editor a bit more. I think the Sabotage demo mission looks really cool, and I am planning to do an edit for my small group to play (not for release) - to add RHS units, R3F Logistics, and port to a different map.

In the init.sqf file, there is the following commented out code:

// Adjust available auto generated tasks
    ////ALIVE_autoGeneratedTasks = ["MilAssault","MilDefence","CivAssault","Assassination","TransportInsertion","DestroyVehicles","DestroyInfantry","SabotageBuilding"];

Are these tasks custom generated for this mission only, or are they part of the larger ALiVE framework? Any advice would be gratefully received.

2. They are part of the ALiVE framework - check for the C2ISTAR module in the editor. That line in the init just adds the specific tasks to the available list rather than all task types.

3. OK, I watched the demo for C2ISTAR - thanks, that makes sense. One more question if I may, a bit more general this time. Having read the wiki, I understand that under some circumstances, ALiVE allows you to spawn units based on military structures on the map. If I use the mission editor to place additional Military structures on the map via the editor, will ALiVE recognize these and allow units to spawn on them / treat them as objectives?

4. Friznit

7 Apr 2015 Administrator

It would be easier to use the Custom Mil Placement module

5. If I'm not mistaken the CQB module will spawn CQB guys even in editor-placed military structures

6. Thanks Friznit & Savage - it seems like the Custom Mil Placement module might be the way to go, I need to have a look at those pre-built Compositions in Zeus - probably easier than building my own in X-cam, which was plan A!

I started messing with this last night, just porting the demo mission to Celle and Bornholm and seeing how it ran. On Celle, no mission objectives appeared - I assumed this was because there are no suitable military buildings on the map. In addition, I got an error about no civilian building being present in the Bluefor TAOR - so Ii assume that the building configs for this map are not compatible with what the mission is trying to do. On Bornholm it all worked fine, except that the resistance has me destroying civilian houses - again, must be config issue. I will keep looking at this and report back - thanks again for the advice gents.

7. You could also build your compositions in XCam, import them to your mission, then place a custom MP module with no composition spawned (by Alive)... but yeah the ALiVE prefabs are nice and easy.

Celle (and Celle2) should work with ALiVE... try setting a larger TAOR or even no TAOR to test and make sure it finds military locations.

8. Thanks Savage, I had a look at the prebuilt compositions in Zeus, they look great. I have decided to make my edits on Altis first and port to other maps once I have it running the way I want, so will revisit the Celle and Bornholm piece later on - will test as you describe and see what happens.

I have a question about one of the functions in functions.sqf. In the function SABOTAGE_fnc_handleSabotageLocal, I can see reinforcements being awarded to the player for completing tasks. For the edit I wish to make, I want to reward the players with ammo supplies for creating tasks, but I want the crate contents to be defined by me - the idea being i will start them out with shotguns only, then let them get SMGs, then let them get access to better NATO weapons gradually, based on weapons from mods like RHS and Toadies. What are your thoughts on the best way to approach this? Thanks again for your input guys.

9. I too am very interested in the custom rewards for objective completion.

10. Yeah that one is beyond me guys.. :) I've poked the devs hopefully one will respond here.

11. Thanks Savage. I can see a few ways of possibly doing it, and I think I will need to end up being flexible on this.

For the way I would like the mission to run, Ideally reward crates should be delivered via airdrop (through support) once the player accumulates enough points. I have 6 levels of crates, starting the players out with SMGs, and gradually graduating them to heavier weapons. Weapon sights, Guided AT, NVGs and Powerful Radios (TFAR) will be premium items they cannot easily acquire elsewhere in the mission.

Another option could be to just spawn them in the world once objectives are complete.

A third option would be to place them on map in the editor, but only notify the players of their locations once missions are complete.

Finally, I might just place them in towns that I know will be occupied, mark them on the map and tell the players - "Hey, guns are here - go get em".

12. So in the short term I have decided to go for the simple option of handling supply crates. I have another question about how ALiVE works:

As I am editing the mission, I am testing out objectives - blowing up buildings. I have noticed that these buildings stay blown up, which I assume is caused by ALiVE persistence - that's great! How do I reset the persistent state when I export the mission so players come to the world fresh as it were (i.e. not looking at all the shit i done blown up)?

13. Friznit

12 Apr 2015 Administrator

Change the pbo name :)

14. Works like a charm, thank you Friznit. This may be a dumb question, but where was the building status saved - and why does changing the PBO name refresh it?

15. Edited 9 years ago by SavageCDN

All persistence is saved to the War Room (ie: cloud database - it's what @aliveserver does). Changing the pbo name tells the War Room it's a 'new' mission and hence things are reset.

16. Friznit

13 Apr 2015 Administrator

See here: http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/ALiVE_Data

17. Thanks guys,

The mission is coming together well, will hopefully play test with my group this weekend - happy to post a version here if anyone is interested, although it is really just a slight tweak on what HighHead has done.

Going back to the ALiVE auto generated tasks in the init - I am using:

["MilAssault","CivAssault","Assassination","DestroyVehicles","DestroyInfantry","SabotageBuilding"];

Is it possible to set an order in which they would appear - In the mission, the players start out with no gear - going straight to CivAssault is therefore a big challenge. it would be cool if I could make the first 4 tasks as Assassination and sabotage building, then introduce the larger military assaults in the next 4 tasks, to simulate the progression of the insurgency. Is this possible?

or Sign Up to reply!