Difficulties with getting insurgency just right. (Everyone Input welcome!)

1. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Are you playing as the Takistan Militia?

Some things to consider is, Assymetric will spawn fewer units by default than an Invasion/Occupation Commander, and if your southern TAOR has less objects/objectives than the north one, that will also cause less units to spawn.

I like to use a profile counter when balancing, which you put in the debug window (then click local exec). The snippet is found here:

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php?title=Script_Snippets

Run this periodically after mission start, and fast forward for a couple hours and see how things are going. If Assymetric is constantly getting dominated by the Militia, you may need to lower the amount of initial Militia units (by either filtering objectives to a high number, or making their TAOR smaller, etc), or increase the likelihood Assymetric can recruit new troops (increasing civ density, or increasing pre-placed installation in their Commander module, etc).

Balancing takes a lot of trial and error, but that profile counter should give you some indication what is going wrong.

Debug in general is very helpful too, especially for Virtual AI so turn that on when balancing.

2. @HeroesandvillainsOS  Are you playing as the Takistan Militia?

Some things to consider is, Assymetric will spawn fewer units by default than an Invasion/Occupation Commander, and if your southern TAOR has less objects/objectives than the north one, that will also cause less units to spawn.

I like to use a profile counter when balancing, which you put in the debug window (then click local exec). The snippet is found here:

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php?title=Script_Snippets

Run this periodically after mission start, and fast forward for a couple hours and see how things are going. If Assymetric is constantly getting dominated by the Militia, you may need to lower the amount of initial Militia units (by either filtering objectives to a high number, or making their TAOR smaller, etc), or increase the likelihood Assymetric can recruit new troops (increasing civ density, or increasing pre-placed installation in their Commander module, etc).

Balancing takes a lot of trial and error, but that profile counter should give you some indication what is going wrong.

Debug in general is very helpful too, especially for Virtual AI so turn that on when balancing.

Thankyou very much for your advice. The mission currently entails BLUFOR located at the southern Takistani airfield. Local friendly militia are just north of that. TAOR in the middle thats up for grabs. Enemy takistani militia on the northern TAOR. We play as Blufor and wish to patrol random towns to keep things in order as the local friendly milita fight the enemy militia throughout the map. I currently have them both as asymmetric starting with 30 men and %50 readiness. Do you suggest i equal the starting number of towns for both factions?

3. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

I wish it were that easy to recommend that. It really just depends.

Not that it really matters, but why is the Militia playing as insurgents?

Mission balancing is tough. What I like to do is, I slow the game down. I use 25-50% for virtual AI speed. I also like to limit the friendly objectives a step or so higher in filtering than the enemy side, so players won't get interfered with too too often when patrolling.

The way insurgencies work is, depending on your starting settings, it can take awhile for the insurgents to establish themselves and build their HQ's. Upwards of 2+ hours if you've set everything conservatively and to the slowest settings.

Remember, Insurgents can only replenish their forces from the civilian population. So they NEED these civ recruitment HQ's to maintain and grow their strength.

What I like to do is setup a mission the way it seems ok, then use the profile counter and fast-forward and I watch for 2-3 in-game hours to make sure the insurgents aren't getting wiped down to nothing.

Then, as they finally establish their recruitment HQ's, I watch again to make sure they don't then grow too fast (remember, for all intents and purposes, there is no "cap" on how many soldiers the insurgents can recruit).

Meaning even if they seem like they are getting beaten pretty badly, they CAN (not always) grow so big you'd never be able to defeat them.

Generally what I like to do is have the starting forces be at least equal, or generally, have my side out number the insurgents by a little bit. And I have my side filtered just a bit higher than the insurgents in the objective modules.

At first the insurgents will take losses, but eventually, they'll catch back up. If after 3-4 hours, the numbers seem ok on both sides, I figure that's a good enough place to start.

There are lots of ways to balance missions to get the results you want. These suggestions are just one way of lots and lots. One popular method amongst the community is to only give insurgents civ obj's and only give friendlies mil obj's. That way the player can do most of the fighting but still have enough troops to call in for help. I don't do this all the time, but it's a neat method.

Long story short, you just need to play around. Go in the SP editor and use the snippet I linked and then in game run it and fast forward x4 (+ button) and watch for a few hours. After about 1 hour (game time) you'll have a decent snapshot of the landscape. I like to go 2 hours minimum before actually playing, but the more the better IMO.