Various issues with my ALiVE missions on a dedicated Server

1. 7 years ago

@HeroesandvillainsOS  Hmmm. Not sure this would have ever "worked" for you locally. Depending on your Virtual AI spawn distance, anyway. Admin unit Marking will only mark units that have spawned in the game world. Virtual profiles that haven't won't show up. To see them you need to debug the Virtual AI module. What you're describing is working as intended.

Alrighty then, just got confused as testing on my local computer showed markers all over both Stratis and Altis. Thanks for clearing that one up.

@HeroesandvillainsOS Commanders will always leave profiles to hold objectives. Although they are more aggressive on Invasion than they would be on Occupation, what you're seeing is normal. If you want units to attack a specific area or areas with high priority, add a few custom obj modules with high priority over the areas you want the commander to focus on.

Well, I've had the server running for about 24 hours with virtual combat speed doubled and they barely left their TAOR markers (I've got quite a few klicks of distance between the TAOR because I thought that would fix my issue of new troops spawning around the next corner as soon as reinforcements are due) leaving us with very little actual combat opportunities aside from "grab a T-90 and drive all the way to the other end of the island to maybe find some americans to shoot at".

@HeroesandvillainsOS What do you mean the insurgent commander wasn't working?

Where I placed the Insurgent commander and all, there was an IED factory and four insurgents. For sizing, their TAOR was everything except our own.

2. I started with that approach (having a marker for my TAOR and putting that one on the blacklist for the enemy) but then I always had the issue that we just finished clearing up a city (say for example Agia Marina on Stratis), ordering reinforcements (about four planes with five squads), waited for the AI to land before going RTB just to find Agia Marina back in the enemies hand as soon as we lost sight (going over the first hill to return to Stratis Air Base) which led me to believe that reinforcements is allowed to spawn anywhere in the TAOR, making advancing and fortifying a complete waste of time. We've had that same little game for two hours straight and everytime we were trying to go RTB the enemy magically occupied the town again in a matter of a minute or two.

I'll whip something up for Altis for testing this evening including some insurgents (using IWAR) and I'll post an update about the insurgent side of things.

Apart from that, I still wonder about the other issues as well as my OS setup itself.

3. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

What do you have the Virtual AI Active Limiter set to? If below the default value of 144, move it closer to that number and see if it helps (this could account for several of your problems if using too low of a number).

To get an accurate view of units in/around an area, you really want to be debugging the Virtual AI module rather than marking units, which you can do anytime at mid-game under module options in the tablet.

I also prefer to use a slower speed for Virtual AI. I like 25% and 50% myself, depending on the kind of progression I want. Using these amounts, rather than the default, will slow the speed at which the virtual profiles move. The slower profiles move, the slower everything will progress (such as the opposing side taking back towns you've liberated).

I see this is an insurgency with an Asymmetric commander. Remember, civilians will be recruited from civilian recruitment centers (these need to be blown up) and turned into units for the insurgent side. It's very important to prioritize destroying these above all else if you want to stop the enemies growth. Make sure these (and any other OPCOM Installation, which you can also debug in the tablet) are destroyed before leaving an objective. And to hold an area, don't be shy. Bring in several groups to occupy an area you want to hold. One group won't cut it, especially if both sides deem the objective important.

4. Well, at least I've got some sort of an update, I guess.....

Hoping that 1.68 solves many issues I updated and tested some more.
    Here's the list of issues from this testing run.

• Logistics just randomly refuse to work (as in, we're ordering stuff and nothing happens)
    • Alive takes ages to spawn inactive profiles when moving to an area
    • generally strange performance issues (AI taking a couple of seconds to register being dead, AI vehicles randomly rubberbanding)
    • I get a crapton of lines in the server shell (no chance to see what's going on as it generates some 50ish lines per second) whenever a player's connected
    • Server performance (#monitor 5 as admin) shows ~2GB RAM usage and around 10FPS

To put this into perspective, in those 6ish hours a day we're around playing on the server, most of the time there's a team of two with a third every full moon or so, which makes anything performance related all the more incredibly hilarious. The server reached the point of being considered broken by default.
    Is there any way to get more (usable) information somehow to get an idea what exactly fucks up? Didn't see any relatable logfiles in /var/log.

Friznit, that I checked everytime I was in 3den, everything's set up exactly like the documentation said.