Vex530 Tutorial Video - Questions

1. 7 years ago

Hello ALiVE community,

Recently I followed and made notes from this video that Vex530 made in creating some ALiVE-based insurgency:

I believe I have replicated this process myself, the mission runs on my own machine in Eden, although it chugs quite a bit (assume there is a lot going on).

I exported the mission and moved it to my rented server, fired up the server and the mission doesn't want to start - it appears to load, I see the map flash at my face for about half a second, but it never comes back allowing the mission to start.

Did Vex530 leave something out in order for this to work right on a dedicated server or might I have something going wrong with my stuff?

I feel like it's probably a simple change to make it work or an addition, but I can't seem to find anything useful in troubleshooting.

2. I'll check out the tutorial but if it loads for you locally, the issue probably has nothing to do with how you set the mission up.

Your best bet is the try loading the mission on the server, and then posting your server log here so a dev can look at it and see why it fails.

3. @HeroesandvillainsOS  Sure thing - I am going to do another test with a simpler mission and see if I get the same result, I'll pull the log if it doesn't work. Thank you as always - you were very helpful when I first learned of ALiVE.

4. Yeah man no problem. If you're finding it tough to balance this insurgency after you get the server going, let me know what problems you're having and I'll do my best to help. :)

5. @HeroesandvillainsOS  I just tried a smaller scale test and I was able to get to successfully run. No insurgency, I just created a simple 250m square and told an AI commander to occupy it.

So my possible thoughts are as to why I struggled from Vex530's tutorial:

• Overloaded the server (not likely, because it worked on my own machine)
    • Vex's tutorial at the end tells to you drop the Game Master module and sync yourself (a player) to it right before you start, I did not do that in the small test.
    • I changed the terrain, but, both tests were done on IceBreakr's terrains, which are indexed.

The link to the failed mission is here, it's a big file to paste in the forum:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_88vPfxnDO3ZlpucXdfazVHQXc

6. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Ok I just watched the video and he does move really really fast. Probably too much so for new players. But all in all I don't see anything wrong with it assuming you can follow it, especially if you like 3-way battles (not my cup of tea but it's just as easy to skip the steps for one of the commanders).

When I use Zeus Game Master, I don't sync it to anything. I place it, change the option to allow all mods used in the mission to be used, and write #adminLogged in to the field for who can use it and that's it.

Maybe try unsyncing that module and see if it loads? What mods are you using?

7. @HeroesandvillainsOS one of the steps I took was to not use that module at all and it worked in my small test. Since I now have a foundation that works, I'll try to scale it up from here.

The mods I am using are primarily Cup Core terrains and Icebreakr's stuff, SMA weapons...a few odds and ends for effects and such...right now I am trying to run a fairly "light" modpack and I believe I can if I develop a given level of proficiency with ALiVE.

8. Yeah that's not a bad idea. Build up from the mission that's working and keep us posted.

Though bare in mind, all factions are not innately ALiVE compatible. And I don't think any of Icebreakr's maps are indexed properly to work with ALiVE right now. What map is this mission on and what are the factions (and faction names) you're using?

9. @HeroesandvillainsOS My successful test was run on Panthera Island...I was using a faction from a mod called Missing Units, which is just a re-skin really of default Arma 3. It seemed to work okay but I'm glad to know IceBreakr's maps aren't fully compatible, that may lead to some other approaches as I scale up.

10. According to the Github, Panthera has been successfully indexed. Isla Abramia, Lingor and Isla Duala apparently have not and are having issues.

So I guess you should be good there. I've never used any of his maps but they do look cool in the videos I've seen.

As far as the faction goes, you'd know pretty much right away if the faction name you manually entered worked ok or not. You'd get an error on mission start in the radio chat saying ALiVE couldn't find any groups.

11. @HeroesandvillainsOS one last thing for now - seen mention of a discord channel, does one exist for Alive or is not public?

12. Not sure man. Even if they did, the last thing these guys would want is me there with my big mouth and lack of any actual skills.

@Friznit ?

13. @HeroesandvillainsOS Just asking, I have no problem with the forums. Off to do more experimenting.

14. Forums are more active than the Discord.

15. Usually when you put a mission onto a server and get the flashing screen it means the mission uses an addon that the server does not have loaded in it's mod line.
    The flashing is the "helpful" message saying that one or more mods in the mission have been deleted.

16. Friznit

8 Jan 2017 Administrator

We have an ALiVE public Discord. Some of the devs even hang out on there!

17. Thanks @Friznit - do you have a link to the Discord channel - I'd like to have it even if it's not the resource the forums are.

18. Friznit

9 Jan 2017 Administrator

https://discord.gg/KkacXFx

19. Thank you @Friznit

20. @HeroesandvillainsOS  Not sure man. Even if they did, the last thing these guys would want is me there with my big mouth and lack of any actual skills.

@Friznit ?

No worries bud they let me in.... you should be fine ;)

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!