Tell me your war stories

1. 7 years ago

I want to hear some of your war stories. What things have happened while playing ALiVE that have made for some great fun.

To start things off I was just testing my Return to Takistan mission with 3CB BAF units, ACE etc and was patrolling the town of Huzrutimam in the south west of Takistan with 5 AI crammed into a Foxhound. I stopped the vehicle and jumped out to go speak to a local civilian who came walking out of a house. I asked him if he had seen any IED's in the area (using Spyders awesome Civilian interaction addon) He said he would show me and pointed it out on the map.

What a helpful chap I thought as I opened my map to mark it. Then I heard a "beep beep beep..... BOOOM!" as he ran over to the Foxhound and detonated a suicide vest while I was looking at my map. Fortunately I was far enough away that I was just knocked to the ground uninjured but dazed, and the rest of my squad were ok behind the armour of the foxhound. However the vehicle was worse for wear with 2 tires out and hull damage.

I had my squad secure the area and called in a helo to quickly get me back to the airbase where I picked up a coyote with repair capabilities, drove back to the town, repaired the foxhound mounted up and returned to base.

So I guess lesson #1 is SEARCH EVERYONE.

2. One of the stories on the funny side of things was when my unit had found an IED factory and called in the Engineers to deal with it.
    While the squad secured the area the engineers got out, suited up and proceeded to the site. After removing the IEDs and destroying the building where they were, the squad reformed and the engineers went back for their vehicle only to find it missing.
    When they asked where it went one of the new guys to the unit spoke up and said that a civilian got in it and drove away. To which he was asked, "Why didn't you say something?".... (The best reply ever)... " I was told to watch this corner and unless I see an enemy I am to keep my mouth shut "!
    Never did find the missing vehicle.

3. Thumbs up. Both stories are pretty neat (and LOL at the civ stealing the vehicle).

4. Edited 7 years ago by JD_Wang

I didn't realise civilians would jack your ride?!? I left a foxhound at the edge of a town while patrolling it and came back to this.

http://imgur.com/a/bhIKL

Half a dozen civilians saying prayers around the vehicle. Surprised it was still there. Maybe I need to enable vehicle locking through ACE :P

5. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

I asked him if he had seen any IED's in the area (using Spyders awesome Civilian interaction addon) He said he would show me and pointed it out on the map.

Those "helpful" civs sometimes aren't as helpful as they seem! ;)

Not inline with the other stories here, but way back I when I first started writing the civilian interaction system coerced civilians became a serious problem as they were cutting my testing sessions short by gunning me down from various balconies.

6. If I didn't know better I'd think he waited until I opened my map before running for the foxhound. :P

7. When testing the new Insurgency features in ALiVE I teleported to a town to check spawning and civs showing up on the map in debug mode. I still had my map screen open and was watching as units were spawning in the area. I heard a yell and pressed "m" to get out of the map screen just in time to see a civ with an explosive vest detonate about 1 metre from my position. I had god-mode on so I didn't take any damage but it scared the living fuck out of me!

or Sign Up to reply!