Question about roadblocks

1. 8 years ago
    Edited 8 years ago by Dimitrius

First post in this forum, my name is Dimitrius and I am from the TacticalGamer community.

I recently began utilizing ALiVE and am quite impressed with it's ease of use. While admitting I am still in the learning phase, I am curious if it is possible to set more acute roadblocks. For example, if I set a civilian or military object and set roadblocks to all, I cannot accidentally control where they will be placed. I understand that they will be placed randomly within the TOAR I designate, but am wondering if I can place a marker or use some other method to control their placement more accurately.

I see there are many optional modules I can utilize and I am still learning, but if anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

Love this mod, look forward to using it in my missions.

Thank you in advance if you have the time to answer my question.

Regards,

Dimitrius
    Mission Dev
    Tacticalgamer.com

2. Is there any reason why you couldn't just place them in the editor if you wanted them to be that accurate?

That would be my first instinct, but then I'm terrible at this :P

3. Edited 8 years ago by DaVidoSS

You can set couple of game modes using ALiVE.

• Asymmetrical Warfare
    • Invasion vs Occupy
    • Invasion vs Invasion

Which one we are talking about?

4. Forgive my misunderstanding of your question. I do not know the difference between those terms, or their context.

I am attempting to make a COOP mission where we are BLUFOR and OPFOR are our aggressors. I have figured out how to use the CQB module for the towns and urban areas, but am attempting to find a more accurate way to place road blocks instead of just selecting "ALL" in a military or civilian objective and hoping for the best.

I can place them statically, but I wondered if there was a way to use Alive to place them instead.

Thank you.

5. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

I think if you place a marker where you want the roadblock, then place a custom objective to only use that marker as its TAOR, you can then select a roadblock from the dropdown in the module. Don't quote me on that as I'm not sure if a roadblock is a composition you can select in that list.

If not, try placing the same marker, then a civilian objective module using that marker as its TAOR (blacklist the rest of the map). Then set roadblocks to high, give or take. From there try seeing if setting it to objectives only within the module works, or if not, place an infantry of 1 (0's in the rest of the lines).

While you're in there, also check if roadblocks are a composition you can select within the civilian objective module (not home and have never looked). If so, that's probably the easiest way (that, or selecting the same from the custom objective module instead if it's available as a choice).

6. I just checked and roadblocks are a custom composition that can be placed manually within the ALiVE Military Placement Custom Objective module. So just place that module down and select roadblock from the compositions dropdown and you'll be good to go.

7. Herosandvillians, thank you for your assistance, but I must be doing something wrong. I have placed a ALIVE required module and then Military Placement Custom Objective Module as you have said and set it to roadblock from the compositions dropdown. I placed the custom module on a road and when I spawned in it didn't appear.

Thank you for your suggestion, I must be missing something here.

Any additional advice is welcomed.

8. Ok so I just tried it and you would be correct. Placing the module that way does not guarantee a roadblock! I even increased the priority to a huge number and made sure vehicles spawned with it just to see (vehicles usually spawn organically with random roadblocks) and no roadblock. I also tried making sure infantry spawned with it and just the infantry spawned.

I'm going to guess that this method just makes it way more likely but not guaranteed. We'll probably need a dev at this point to see if what you're looking to do is possible.

9. Again why reinvent the wheel? If you know where they're going to be why not place them in the editor? You could even make a custom composition to make it faster.

I'm not trying to be a dick here, I'm just curious as why you would try and use ALiVE for something that could be done easier in the 3DEN editor?
    Maybe I'm just tired, it's been a long day learning the joys of setting up a server.

10. JD_Wang I am not as skilled at mission design as you seem to be. My questions are simply to see if I can place a roadblock using the ALiVE Framework. It may not make sense to you, but that is my goal. I do not yet know what a custom composition is and would be grateful if you could explain it to me or give me an example.

I see several ways I can create roadblocks from scratch, but am just trying to figure out it the module had an easy way to do it.

I am sorry if that somehow offends you.

Regards,

11. If selecting the composition via the custom military objective module doesn't create a roadblock, it's probably a bug. Will see if I can reproduce later.

12. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Ok, so spawning a roadblock composition via the custom military placement objective module works fine for me.

Can you try this on a mission where the only modules placed are ALiVE (Required), Virtual AI System, and the custom objective module placing the roadblock and report back how that works?

13. I wonder if the reason it isn't working for me is because I synced it to an AI commander?

14. Thanks SypderBlack, trying right now.

15. SpyderBlack, that worked, it seems I was forgetting to place Virtual AI System as I am still getting a feel for all of the required vs optional modules.

Thank you for your patience and willingness to help me.

We are using ALiVE at TacticalGamer on some of our missions and so far are quite impressed with how streamlined mission making can be using these tools.

If I have any more questions about static roadblocks, I will place them here.

Thank you again

Friendly Regards,

16. Does this work even on your original mission?

17. Well it wasn't working on mine so now I'm curious about this and I don't even plan on placing roadblocks this way. :)

18. Try the above and report back

Can you try this on a mission where the only modules placed are ALiVE (Required), Virtual AI System, and the custom objective module placing the roadblock and report back how that works?

19. Also, go cubs.

20. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

+1 Extra credit for you

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!