Long shot: Anyone having issues controlling AI?

1. 8 years ago
    Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

So I noticed this problem pop up about a week ago. Originally assumed it was related to some odd terrain I was playing on but now it's popping up on more standard maps too.

Basically, when playing with AI teammates, at some point in the mission some of them will stop returning to formation. Some things I've noticed:

1. They'll pick a spot. I can command them to get down and stand up, etc, and sometimes even move to a specific spot I command them to but will never return to formation. When hitting their F key or tilda 1, 1 they just won't budge. Commanding them to get in a vehicle usually results in "cannot comply."

2. They'll pick a spot on the map and just stand there as I described. So I open up the commander tablet and teleport them to another spot. What happens next is they run back to the ORIGINAL spot I teleported them from and stand there again. Like they've been hard coded to only stay at that exact location.

I am running some scripts from this forum, and the only AI mod I haven't removed yet trying to sort this out is Pooter's ASR AI. I'll continue to remove things but I even made a new mission from scratch (with mods) and it's still happening. Has anyone ever seen this?

2. Well heh. One thing is that such behaviour has been characteristic for this game series since Operation Flashpoint.

And from time to time I still see it happen with Arma 3 but if my memory serves me correct the AI I have been commanding has never stuck completely (so that I haven't been able to get the poor AI bastard to return back in line).

Unless Pooter's enhanced ASR AI has some special meaning in your mission, try changing it to Robalo's original and see if that would help some. Then of course, remember to remove all AI mods and _extensively_ test with vanilla AI to see if it also gets stuck from time to time.

3. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Thanks Asmodeus. Like I said, this occurred one time like a week ago and I brushed it off with Arma being Arma. But now it's happening in every instance making the game unplayable. I'll recruit 7 AI and sometimes immediately, sometimes after 20 minutes 3-4 or them will just stop following me.

I'll remove some scripts and mods one by one but I'm running out of stuff to remove. :(

Crossing my fingers someone has seen this at some point and has some idea what it could be. I knew that would be a long shot but figured it was worth a try.

4. As Asmodeus mentioned try without any AI mods - if it's happening regularly you should be able to tell quickly if it's being caused by ASR or similar.

5. Can confirm i've seen this behaviour (not repsponding to command, being stuck in location) but cannot confirm if it is fixed without mods.

Unlikely to try, the mods are worth more than the grouped AI sadly.

6. Yesterday I did have some AIs doing crazy stuff.
    I was assigned the Mission to pick up some troops. Drove there with an offroader, some AI hopped in, some stayd there. I took another car, noone jumped in anymore, so I went to Zeus and ordered them in. They behaved and got in.
    We drove and stopped due to someone beeing afk (friendly area) and then some of those AI jumped out and took Position next to the car. I had to order them in again via Zeus.
    We drove on and as we were attacked and stopped the car, the AI Groups jumped out, ran around a bit and jumped back in, then out again, ran around... non stop.
    Even ordering via Zeus (after the firefight was over) didn't work. I had to pull those jumping in and out out of the Group, for the others to stay in.

7. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@Murdock Yesterday I did have some AIs doing crazy stuff.
    I was assigned the Mission to pick up some troops. Drove there with an offroader, some AI hopped in, some stayd there. I took another car, noone jumped in anymore, so I went to Zeus and ordered them in. They behaved and got in.
    We drove and stopped due to someone beeing afk (friendly area) and then some of those AI jumped out and took Position next to the car. I had to order them in again via Zeus.
    We drove on and as we were attacked and stopped the car, the AI Groups jumped out, ran around a bit and jumped back in, then out again, ran around... non stop.
    Even ordering via Zeus (after the firefight was over) didn't work. I had to pull those jumping in and out out of the Group, for the others to stay in.

Murdock, was this with AI grouped to you and under your control or was this the Transport Troops C2ISTAR task? For that task I've seen that behavior too, generally only when they recognize an enemy presence.

Just for clarity, my issue is with grouped AI whom I lead.

Removed Pooter's ASR AI, hopped on the server for an hour and had no issues. I'll play more later to know for sure.

Hopefully ASR AI the original doesn't have this problem, AI mods are a must IMO.

8. It was with the generated Task.

9. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@Murdock It was with the generated Task.

Yeah it's too bad. I like the C2ISTAR task system in theory, but about half of them are broken when used on A2 maps. The only "safe ones" are the more offensive. Meaning HVT, destroy vehicle, Insurgent Patrol, Mil Assault. The others, Transport Troops, Destroy Assets, Destroy Insurgency Installation, civ/mil defend, and even civ assault (the last I checked) almost never work unless on Altis/Stratis.

or Sign Up to reply!