Favorite Unit Packs

1. 8 years ago
    Edited 8 years ago by AUTigerGrad

Since we already have a thread discussing favorite maps, I figured we should have a thread discussing your favorite unit packs/troop packs to use in your ALiVE missions.

Here is my top 5.

1. 3CB British Unit Pack
    Pros: So pretty they almost make me want to get British Citizenship! Outstanding detail, equipment randomization so troops have great individuality, wonderful unit structure, troop description. Interactive functionality on vehicles, including a wonderful rearming module for Helicopters. My all time favorite pack.

Cons: Units are actually split into 4 different mods: 3CB Vehicles, 3CB Equipment, 3CB Weapons, 3CB Units so it is kind of a chore downloading all 4 packs. But well worth it in my opinion. Work great with alive.

2. Massi's Unit Packs
    Pros: VARIETY!! African troops, Asian Troops, Middle Eastern...literally every corner of the globe is covered by Massi's various packs. Wonderful detail/quality and works wonderfully with other unit packs.

Cons: Can't think of many. Unit Packs are not in one giant download so you'll have to download each "theater" pack of which there are several. Works perfectly with ALiVE. Even has "HD" versions which means "high dispersal" i.e. firefights last longer with less accurate enemies if preferred by the mission maker.

3. CAF Aggressors
    Pros: For my money, the best "insurgent" pack out there. Have African, Middle Eastern, and European insurgents. Wonderful unit sizes, with 4, 6, and 8 man squads to better fit insurgent size units. Best looking Taliban faction by a country mile IMO. Also can use the RHS add on which gives these guys RHS weapons.

Cons: It's old and O'Halley appears to have dropped off the face of the earth. Not updated for 1.54 armor values, but not that big of a deal seeing as how 95% of these guys don't wear body armor. Built specifically for ALiVE so works beautifully.

4. CUP
    Pros: More pros by the day. This mod is super active and added to almost weekly now. Incredible amount of content already available. One of the major contributors is Tupolov, so of course, everything will be "ALiVE" friendly with him on board.

Cons: Not as "pretty" as the other mods right now. Most assets are direct ports from A2 so they aren't going to be as highly detailed as the custom made for A3 units. But they still look "good". Just not "great".

5. RHS Escalation
    Pros: Beautiful..the best looking troops in ARMA 3. Super highly detailed, very realistic and also have an immense library of troops, vehicles, and support items for both US and Russian forces. Also has an Insurgent faction based on Eastern Europe. Really really nice pack.

Cons: Doesn't like to play with others. Developers stubborn to a fault about "working with other mods". If you use RHS, they want you to ONLY use RHS and nothing else, which isn't a realistic expectation with so many great mods out there. Uses a completely different damage system for it's pack than every other mod pack in ARMA which can cause "invincibility issues" and other bad mojo.

RHS does work very well with ALiVE in my experience.

Honorable mention goes to:

Spanish Army Mod
    Pros: This is an RHS level of detail in this mod, dealing specifically with the Spanish Army. Tons of vehicles, support craft, and troop types. Essentially it's "RHS Spain". Great pack. Works beautifully with ALiVE. Not many people know about this pack but it's very impressive in its quantity and quality.

Cons: The developers sporadically update but the pack hasn't been updated since 1.54 came out so armor values haven't been fixed. Only Spanish forces included, no insurgents in this pack.

2. @Murdock 3CB British Unit Pack ....
    I want to use it but I just don't get the whole "put vehicles to be used by the AI Commander" Thing.
    Can someone explain me please, what I have to do to get my OPCOM to spawn/order vehicles as well as infantry?

Yeah Murdock I'd like clarification on this too. I've put countless hours into 3CB/ALiVE and have seen a grand total of one occurance of a placed motorized vehicle doing anything other than sitting there. And even then it was a fluke (I added a module and forgot to blacklist OPFOR from spawning in my base. A CAS chopper went up in the sky and started raining rounds down on the insurgents).

The way I was told to do this was to place a manned vehicle and sync it to the Virtual AI module. I've done this with choppers and ground vehicles and other than that one time, they've never moved from their position so I definitely don't think I'm doing it right. They never go on "assignment."

3. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Gotcha. I made that test super super quickly and very early this morning after having this issue on some missions I made and missions other people made. Clearly I didn't look at it closely enough when I made the test. I'll spend some time with this later. Thanks.

EDIT: Wait? Are you talking about the active limiter? The profiles should still show up with debug on, right? At least when I have the active limiter on 15 in my very large missions, 100's of OPFOR profiles still show up so I don't think that can be the issue.

4. Ugh...

Does limiting the Active Limiter also limit the number of units on the map then? I have it at 15. Does that mean I'll never have more than 15 units on the map (that I can see with virtual AI debugged and also see in "operations")?

5. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Active limiter only controls how many profiles can be active at a given time. It has no effect on un-spawned profiles. It does not affect debug visuals.