What's the difference between "Place Units" and "Objectives Only?"

1. 8 years ago

Sorry to start a thread with a very simple question like this. I looked in the Wiki but didn't see anything (so I'm assuming the answer should be obvious! It just isn't to me :) ).

In the mil/civ objective modules, in the Place Units drop down, what does "Objectives Only" mean? I spent a little time debugging the two in the editor yesterday and I'm not seeing anything different between "Place Units" and "Objectives Only."

2. Edited 8 years ago by SavageCDN

Objectives Only - this shows the objective and it's relative value to OPCOM but doesn't actually spawn any groups. This is very helpful for testing with debug (shows the MP/CP locations on the map so you can plan your mission and/or TAORs).

It's also used for giving OPCOM objectives that aren't already captured, etc. For example, create 2 small TAORs (opfor, blufor) on opposing sides of the map with 800 units spawning at each. Create a large TAOR between them but set that module to objectives only. Sync the blufor and opfor OPCOMS to this objectives-only module then watch them duke it out over those objectives :) Add logistics and you have a perpetual battle!

3. Interesting. So I take it the enemies spawning near the "objectives only" civ module must actually be coming from a different module then. Because either way I did it, enemies spawned at the exact same gas station (which is right where the module is) both times.

But the module still allows me to select the platoon/company size. Hmmm. Maybe in the next release you guys could have that option to select platoon/company sizes greyed out when objectives only is selected considering no units can spawn?

Anyway, I have a mission going on Reshmaan with a VERY BIG city that unfortunately only has a couple objects ALiVE can interact with. And also unfortunately civilians can't spawn there at all. It also happens to be the first city the player would likely encounter which unless I set up things very smartly, can make the first leg of the mission feel very "slow" if unpopulated. I don't want to leave a bad first impression.

I was actually hoping "objectives only" would force ALiVE to place IED and weapons factories there to give the player something do do right off the bat. Now that I know what objectives only means, I'm wondering if I can use this to my advantage. You know, make this dead city matter. Perhaps I can leave one OPFOR module at objectives only, place another OPFOR module to units only, and also sync my BLUFOR and OPFOR OPCOM to the objective and watch both sides make this city an important one to control! That would leave a VERY GOOD first impression. :)

Decisions decisions. Thanks for the breakdown!

4. Yes if your module is set to Objectives only then groups spawning near it must be from another module and are moving to capture it (assuming you've synced their OPCOM module to that objectives module). With debug on for the AI you shouldn't see any groups spawn there at mission start.

or Sign Up to reply!