AI Issues On Stratis

1. 8 years ago
    Edited 8 years ago by Corsa1r

So I recently made a fairly straightforward skirmish on Stratis against Eastern Euro CAF Aggressors using Massi's UK Spec Ops. The northern half of the map is controlled by the CAF and the southern is controlled by UK. I have both AI commanders set to 'occupation.'

Playable faction is UK, and I notice within the first 25-30 mins that the UK forces seem to have all but disappeared from the meridian where the fighting started out... the CAF aggressors are aggressively attempting to take all my objectives but 90% of my spawned forces are down at Camp Maxwell hanging out. I have no idea why. Barely anyone on UK is moving to take objectives across the no man's land, but instead sitting down at Maxwell, gathering. I'm not sure why this would be.

*Also, I have 'force weighting' on both sides set to 'light infantry' but my group uses all sorts of jeeps/offroads, which is fine, but the CAF are somehow getting their hands on armed BTRs and stuff.

2. You have set both AI commanders to "Occupation". Try changing one to "Invasion". What that will do is order that faction's units to advance. :)

Hope this helps.

3. Edited 8 years ago by Corsa1r

Thanks. I was under the impression 'occupation' was simply a more defensive version of 'invasion' in this game, as in occupation mode, an AI commander kept more units defensively while sending smaller amounts of units out offensively. 'Invasion' in this, I thought was synonymous with the opposite of that, sending more units to take objectives and leaving just a few to defend taken objectives on the map. I'll mess with things further and try what you suggested.

4. From wiki:

Control Type: The strategy dictates which objectives the AI Commander prioritises first, the number of military groups used and their activity once they reach the objective.

Invasion: an invading commander will prioritise objectives closest to headquarters first (HQ is set at the location of the Military AI Commander module on the map). The commander will only use one or two groups to defend objectives and will focus on securing the next as quickly as possible until all objectives in its TAOR are secured or it runs out of groups to use. This is an aggressive and fast moving strategy but is vulnerable to attacks behind the front line.

Occupy: in this approach, the AI Commander takes into account a number of factors to determine the relative strategic importance of each objective including distance to HQ, the size and priority set by the Military Placement modules and the height above sea level. It will put a great deal of importance on holding objectives, sending up to 5 defensive groups if a location comes under attack. This is a cautious approach but uses a lot more troops to secure ground and so is vulnerable to attacks on the supply lines.

Asymmetric: insurgency commanders will attempt to cause maximum damage using as few military groups as possible. They will employ tactics such as sabotage, raids and ambushes whilst attempting to recruit fighters and coerce civilians into aiding their cause. Thorough patrolling and good intelligence is the only way to reduce the insurgency threat. More information can be found in the Asymmetric Warfare Briefing Note.

or Sign Up to reply!