Looking for ALiVE scripters for a mission

1. 8 years ago

So, I am working with another person on a new gamemode/mission that will use ACE3, Lingor A3, and ALiVE. I can do some basic stuff in ALiVE but what we want to do is sounding complicated. Is anyone interested in helping get the ALiVE section squared away?

There are 3 Factions. 2 AI and 1 Player. The 2 AI factions are duking it out with each other on the map and wont target the Player faction (Indie) unless provoked. The Player faction is free-for-all in that it is not one big faction. Players have the option to group up but dont start as a group. The player faction and the AI factions will have global missions that spawn to fight over while the AI factions will have their usual missions spawning as well. If the AI faction completes one of the global missions, it gets some kind of reward. If the players complete it, a supply drop by plane happens at the mission location. The AI factions will have either an unlimited pool or a really high pool as the mission is persistent. The AI are to always have a presence in the mission. Even after server restart.

2. Yeah, that's hundreds of hours of coding work. it's pretty unlikely that some passing coder will bang this out for you to get you going. Unless you can find a someone to code this who's as passionate about the idea as you are it'll probably be faster to start learning some scripting yourself (which I recommend, it's not as bad as it sounds)

3. what about someone to help tweak the existing ALiVE setup?

4. Do you mean someone to help you arrange the modules in a way that would give you what you want or that you want the ALiVE devs to make it so that what you want to do is easy to do with the modules?

5. Help arrange modules and help provide script snippets for some of the parts where ALiVE would integrate with the rest of the mission. Like the Mission generation module. It is separate at this point from the rest of the ALiVE missions. It would allow for user generated/scripted missions to be added later. To tie the ALiVE AI faction commanders into creating a custom objective and such when the global mission is spawned for players. Or, making sure the AI avoid the trading posts or consider them as a non-threat.
    That sort of thing. I can setup the basic layout and stuff on the editor with modules. It is setting the modules correctly and such that I would need help with. My partner on the project is working on the modular building and economy and such. It is going to have a building system similar to Epoch/Exile.

6. One of the more experienced guys might correct me on this but, as far as I know, what you're trying to do is not going to be achievable with re-arranging your modules and tossing in a few script snippets.

Saying something like "making sure the AI avoid the trading posts or consider them as a non-threat", for example, is a bit like saying "just make my car faster by converting a jet engine to use the petrol in the car's existing tank and welding the jet engine to the roof". You say it as if it's really simple and straight forward but it isn't. You don't know enough about scripting and Alive to know what is easy and what is hard.

You're trying to make what is essentially a game. There are no short cuts, making games is hard. Go and learn how to do it instead of asking for other people to realise your vision for you so you don't have to struggle.

7. I dont want someone to do it all for me. If something cant be done, I will remove that part. I am already learning Python, HTML5, and PHP so adding SQF to that is not going to work at this time. I am fine with editing existing scripts to modify their function to accomplish what I want but writing new ones from scratch is not something I am fluent in. I don't know why everyone thinks I am looking for shortcuts. I am looking for someone who can look at what I have and correct any mistakes I make and maybe offer some suggestions on how to accomplish what I am attempting. My partner has delegated the ALiVE and ACE3 mods to me as I have the most experience working with them out of the two of us.

8. Hey @KRDucky. I share some of Feanix message, but not the angle.

I see it more as:
    Your lack of experience is has you asking the wrong questions. (That's ok with me)

You need a project to recruit a stranger, a concept isn't good enough. As he's pointing out, some of your features are significant in scope; but you're unclear on what that scope is. I recommend digging in, trying, and asking for help when you get stuck. Lets look at the "safe areas" suggestion as an example.

What you describe exists in some capacity in Epoch, Exile and I'm sure others. Try to make that work *first*, then solicit help explaining where it's broken. If you said:

I'm trying to implement a safe zone around a marker. Right now I prevent ALiVE AI from spawning there by putting them on a Blacklist. My issue is that AI will wander and the patrols engage the players. Is there a way of preventing AI from attacking?

Someone could answer:

I saw a mission use:

_unit setCaptive true;

to achieve a similar effect. You could probably toggle that with a trigger near the marker.

It's a learned skill that every programmer has, it'll eventually help you on Stackoverflow :D

9. thanks for breaking it down. ill run up a test of it once my partner gives me the go ahead. Right now im just spinning tires until he gives me the roadmap.

10. Edited 8 years ago by dixon13

Sounds like what you want is wasteland, but only players on one faction?

11. i thought ACE3 Wasteland was fine but the boss of the clan said otherwise. He wants to do a new thing altogether. I had just finished working on ACE3 Wasteland and had released it too.

12. Edited 8 years ago by GhostNI

Could your players just play a civs?
    Blufor and opfor will fight but won't engage civs unless you kill them (you can set the score needed to be deemed hostile in a script I think).
    You could have another script that pardons you (resets your hostility score and makes you civ again) automatically (like ace3 pardon system) once you escape an area or change clothes etc.
    Just a guess, Don't really have a clue :)
    That's how most arma life etc do it.
    There are loads of random mission generators available that can be added to the likes of wasteland and exile etc so I'm sure they can be added to a standard ALiVE mission.

or Sign Up to reply!