Insurgency and spyder addons questions

1. 6 years ago
    Edited 6 years ago by deimer

Going to make an ALiVE insurgency mission to play in multiplayer with. There are a few things I have questions over about it.

Is there any way I can add more than 1 vehicle to a convoy for extra protection? If its ambushed, will it notify it needs help over radio?

Next, I'm about 90% sure you can build things after calling in certain supplies through combat support. If I were to build a patrol base to use if I wanted to patrol a certain area, will the enemy insurgents do attacks on it and is there any way I can assign friendly AI to it?

If I have the whole enemy spawning in vehicles thing in Spyders addons enabled, would creating a roadblock checkpoint contribute to me delaying the insurgents movement of resources? If not, something like checking each vehicle that stops by or arresting enemies in vehicles would be a great feature.

Does ALiVE and ALiVE indexing works well on maps like Al Rayak and Reshmaan province? I know they are listed as supported, but I have heard that support maps have issues as well. Would you recommend these maps for insurgency?

If am using ACE, would you recommend for me to enable the third-party option for IEDs?

Final question, sorry
    I know that if I use VCOM AI I have to paste something in the init for that unit to get it to work. Other than that, does VCOM work well with ALiVE?

Sorry for the long spam, thanks for the help.

2. The spyder addon creates insurgents and animals, and civs within a certain range of your character, like that ambience mod that is out there. it will spawn vehicles, and put a suicide bomber driving it based on the percentage you set. You can set incognito clothing and such that you can wear to infiltrate the enemy better. I've been using spyders addon for the last couple weeks, and it is one of the best mods out there that compliment alive. They are very tweakable so that you may make a very unique setting for your mission. You will like it.

3. I’m not sure on some of these, so I’ll reply on the ones I have a decent understanding on.

@deimer Next, I'm about 90% sure you can build things after calling in certain supplies through combat support. If I were to build a patrol base to use if I wanted to patrol a certain area, will the enemy insurgents do attacks on it and is there any way I can assign friendly AI to it?

You may be able to script in objectives on the fly (feel free to check the wiki) but easily, no. If I was you, if you want specific areas to be attacked, I’d build these bases beforehand in the editor and place custom objective modules on them. Again, not saying this can’t be done mid-playthrough, but by default this won’t happen.

If I have the whole enemy spawning in vehicles thing in Spyders addons enabled, would creating a roadblock checkpoint contribute to me delaying the insurgents movement of resources? If not, something like checking each vehicle that stops by or arresting enemies in vehicles would be a great feature.

Yes this would be a great feature. I love the idea of roadblock duty! Regarding your roadblock, the answer is I think it depends. If you’re close enough to where the insurgents spawn in the game world (default 1500 meters) of course the actual objects will slow them down. You can also redirect friendly groups to this area (or any area) by clearing the waypoints and adding new ones under the Operations section in the ALiVE menu, or calling in a group to garrison using the Logistics menu.

But if you’re far away and the profiles are in the virtual space, I don’t think any objects you place mid-mission will do anything. Of course, any friendly virtual profiles will still fight.

Does ALiVE and ALiVE indexing works well on maps like Al Rayak and Reshmaan province? I know they are listed as supported, but I have heard that support maps have issues as well. Would you recommend these maps for insurgency?

Reshmaan for sure. I like that map a lot. Al Rayak, according to lots of people yes it works but it gives me nothing but problems (crashing and stuff). Feel free to try it though! We were just talking about it and people still enjoy it!

Final question, sorry
    I know that if I use VCOM AI I have to paste something in the init for that unit to get it to work. Other than that, does VCOM work well with ALiVE?

Sorry for the long spam, thanks for the help.

VCOM should work mostly fine. AuTigergrad uses it in script form in all his most recent missions. I’m sure he won’t mind if you take a look at the script he uses for VCOM and implement it in your ops.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198012420991/myworkshopfiles/?appid=107410

There’s a VCOM section on the ALiVE wiki as well if you need additional info.

4. Edited 6 years ago by deimer

Thanks for the answers! I've actually been using a few of your missions as something for me to look at in the editor to make sure I've got everything set up right as long as you don't mind.

You may be able to script in objectives on the fly (feel free to check the wiki) but easily, no. If I was you, if you want specific areas to be attacked, I’d build these bases beforehand in the editor and place custom objective modules on them. Again, not saying this can’t be done mid-playthrough, but by default this won’t happen.

Thanks. Would I need to sync the custom objective to the insurgent AI commander as well? The whole idea of having an insurgent force attack maybe a patrol base you have set up or any base on your side is amazing to me for some reason.

Another question while I have you here,
    How many troops would you recommend to give the occupying Bluefor forces? I'll be playing this with about 2-5 people at a time and dont want to have too many Bluefor AI but definetly have some, to keep the chance of the insurgent force overrunning us at one point.

5. Yeah anything you build in the editor, assuming it’s not at an actual objective, will need a Custom Objective module. Yes if you want the insurgents to be aware of it, you’ll need to sync the module to their commander.

Numbers of friendlies is always a tough one. What I usually do is just limit my friendlies to Military Objectives only, and let the humans take care of the civilian ones. There are definitely other ways to limit where friendlies are, such as using both civ and mil and raising the objective filtering, or setting one of them to “objectives only” but it really depends on what your needs are.

6. Edited 6 years ago by deimer

Thanks. I set up the mission today and so far things seem to be working. I had at first placed a civ objective down for Bluefor and am thinking about going back and deleting it. My only questions are:
    Will this make the mission hard for us if it's only us 2-5 players dealing with the towns on a 20x20km map?
    Should I just filter more?

If I delete the civ objective in the editor and go back and load up the save, will that cause compatibility issues? Thanks.

I have the IED module on and synced to the insurgent commander. I've made sure the module is set up right with the settings, but when I turn the IED debug on nothing shows up. I've assigned the IED to all of the insurgent TAOR's.

7. I have the IED module on and synced to the insurgent commander. I've made sure the module is set up right with the settings, but when I turn the IED debug on nothing shows up. I've assigned the IED to all of the insurgent TAOR's.

Once the IED module is synced up to the insurgent commander, the debug will not show IEDs (except VBIEDS in my experience. It’s working just fine, but I don’t think the IED module has to be synced to the TAOR’s, only the commander.

8. In Asymmetric mode I think IED areas will only show when toggling the OPCOM installations with the ALiVE menu. They probably also show when debugging the Insurgent Commander module but not sure. IED’s can also take some time to be placed after mission start.

I think you guys can probably handle it without having a BLU civ obj. You can always call in reinforcements and there are plenty of ways to keep the Insurgent growth in check doing some of the other things we’ve gone over (raising min civs to be recruited, etc).

And yes any time you add or delete objectives in the editor, you’ll need to start over for the changes to take effect.

9. Got the IED problem fixed, removed the TAOR from it and started to see it show up, thanks

And yes any time you add or delete objectives in the editor, you’ll need to start over for the changes to take effect.

So if I do remove the civ placement module, will the enemy still attack civillian objectives we own that us players have taken?

10. Yes, if you want enemies to attack civilian objectives you will need to sync the enemy commander module to the civ objective module.

11. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@deimer So if I do remove the civ placement module, will the enemy still attack civillian objectives we own that us players have taken?

I’m not 100% positive on what gets stored upon the very first time the mission is run and saved, but I’m pretty positive objectives are only checked once the first time the mission is run. Meaning if you delete an objective module after already saving that mission, it will still exist in the mission when loading your save so your edit won’t have any impact at all.

You’ll need to start the mission over for this specific change to take effect (again 99% sure).

12. Edited 6 years ago by deimer

Yeah, I'll go ahead and restart. Is there anyway I can get the insurgents to attack our owned civilian objectives with the module deleted? If not I'll keep the Bluefor objective and do much more filtering.

13. @deimer Yeah, I'll go ahead and restart. Is there anyway I can get the insurgents to attack our owned civilian objectives with the module deleted? If not I'll keep the Bluefor objective and do much more filtering.

If you own what was originally an Insurgent civilian objective, the insurgents will always be “aware of it” because that module is synced to the Asymmetric Commander and it’s definitely possible they will try and take it back.

If you want the insurgents aware of your BLU civilian objective modules, assuming you want/have that module placed, syncing the Asymmetric Commander to the civilian objective BLU modules will also make them aware of them and susceptible to attack.

14. Edited 6 years ago by deimer

Thanks! At the beginning I have it set where we have only one town in our AO, so that shouldn't be a problem. I have a feeling they will get around to it anyways since they get through it to get to our FOB.

Edit- So my plan was to only have civ objectives be active for Bluefor in Bluefor's TAOR objectives and blacklist in the insurgents TAOR's. Since Al Rayak is set up a little weird, it could not find any civ objectives so I just went with filtering the civilian objective to only attack big and high priority civ targets. Other than that, Al Rayak is actually a great map.

Also, if we become overrun and insurgents are powerful enough, will they hold full scale attacks on our FOBs to take them and wipe us out? Id love the option to lose, I like challenge.

Sorry about the constant questions, everyone's help has been great and has helped me out a lot. I've gotten to make a really fun mission and am having the most fun in Arma I've had in a long time.

15. If you blacklist the insurgents from your FOB area, and don’t give them an objective module over it, or one that covers it, they won’t “know” about your FOB so no they won’t attack it.

You could place a Custom Objective module over the FOB, and increase the default priority number if you want there to be a chance the enemy commander sends troops there.

I do think it would be cool if commanders dynamically scouted for and found new objectives, such as your base, but at the moment as far as I’m aware it doesn’t work that way.

Nice suggestion though. Good idea for the future or Arma 4. Perhaps there is a way to add an objective on the fly somewhere during a mission but I’m not aware. The wiki might have some code you can try.

16. Edited 6 years ago by deimer

When I toggle OPCOM installations our 2 FOB's (located at an airfield) show 1-2 military objectives in place there. Since the enemy AI commander knows about our civ and mil objectives, doesn't that mean they would attack it?

Also, if I were to change the Bluefor civ objective from place units to objectives only mid save game, would I need to restart? It seems like in doing that there are significantly less Bluefor troops in doing that.

17. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@deimer When I toggle OPCOM installations our 2 FOB's (located at an airfield) show 1-2 military objectives in place there. Since the enemy AI commander knows about our civ and mil objectives, doesn't that mean they would attack it?

With that set up yes it sounds like he’d be aware of it and potentially attack it.

Also, if I were to change the Bluefor civ objective from place units to objectives only mid save game, would I need to restart? It seems like in doing that there are significantly less Bluefor troops in doing that.

Objectives Only does exactly what it sounds; it places objectives around the map, and doesn’t spawn groups with them. I doubt this change would take effect mid-playthrough (because total groups per side should be stored when a mission is first started and saved) but I’m not 100% on that so I guess you could try it and see.

18. Thanks. For now, I think my final question I have is:

Every so often at our main FOB, about 5-7 UH-60's and Chinooks spawn in the same spot in the air. They always crash into each other and there's this huge fireball. Eventually, theyll go away and maybe 2 UH60 helicopters hover over the airfield and stay there.
    Im pretty sure this is something with the military logistics as I had moved it and it changed the spot they spawned at. Any idea of what this is and how to fix?

19. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@deimer Thanks. For now, I think my final question I have is:

Every so often at our main FOB, about 5-7 UH-60's and Chinooks spawn in the same spot in the air. They always crash into each other and there's this huge fireball. Eventually, theyll go away and maybe 2 UH60 helicopters hover over the airfield and stay there.
    Im pretty sure this is something with the military logistics as I had moved it and it changed the spot they spawned at. Any idea of what this is and how to fix?

It’s due to the way Military Logistics handles battle casualty replacements, and is the bastard child of Arma’s horrible piloting AI. It’s easily tops on my list of wishes for improvements of the ALiVE mod.

I have suggested some ideas, as have others. But since I don’t code, it’s a matter of someone that does taking continued interest in improving this element of the mod.

One thing you can try, which half fixes the problem, is placing the Military Logistics module somewhere in a safe out of the way place and setting the reinforcement type to “static” instead of “dynamic.” Then placing a Custom Objective module on the same exact spot and making the priority 999 and syncing that Custom Objective module to your AICommander module.

This will force your resupply choppers to only spawn there at the Military Logistics/Custom Objective module location (ideally this is a place you can’t see it or be interfered with). However they will still deliver these forces to a place on the map. This is why it only 50% fixes the problem. Better than nothing I guess.

20. Would editing the military logistics module mid save game be an issue as well? I know I cant add a custom objective but ill at least reduce the force pool and change to static like you said.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!