Move Military AI Commander module on mission init?

1. 6 years ago

Would it be possible to allow the Military AI Commander module for a faction to be placed at a random location whenever the game begins? This would mix up the base of the insurgency for my mission and (since I created it) I know the ins-and-outs of who spawns where, what objectives who goes after first, etc. Doing this would add replayability and just an aura of mystery where I'd actually have to pull recon to figure out the situation!

2. If I'm not mistaken this is a vanilla BIS feature for all objects in the editor. There should be a placement radius setting in the module where you can set a range (ie: 100m) for it to spawn. Not sure if that fires before ALiVE initializes though so it might not have any effect.

3. Edited 6 years ago by dev614

@SavageCDN If I'm not mistaken this is a vanilla BIS feature for all objects in the editor. There should be a placement radius setting in the module where you can set a range (ie: 100m) for it to spawn. Not sure if that fires before ALiVE initializes though so it might not have any effect.

Right in front of my face the entire time, smh. Thank you, kind sir.

And for anybody else who was curious, the placement radius method does work - it will place the commander module randomly within the set radius on mission init.

4. Friznit

19 Dec 2017 Administrator

Simplest approach is so often the best. Neat idea!

5. Edited 6 years ago by Mannulus

So what exactly occurs if we allow the AI Commander to spawn semi randomly? How does one figure out that area is where the HQ sits?

6. This would be a random location within the TAOR still right?

7. @Guitar18 This would be a random location within the TAOR still right?

I think it depends on the radius setting. It could be placed outside TAOR though it's TAOR is still there.

8. @Mannulus So what exactly occurs if we allow the AI Commander to spawn semi randomly? How does one figure out that area is where the HQ sits?

I'm playing a counter-insurgency mission, so I used the placement radius to add an aura of mystery to the insurgency. My idea behind it was kind of to NOT know where the HQ is, and locate it via reconnaissance. You can test (if you're debugging) where the HQ is generally by the amount of installations popping up in a said area - the asymmetric forces will always try to go for unguarded towns/villages near the commander module. I also set up a bunch of custom objective modules using the placement radius method that place units randomly around the map, so the troop movements can differ greatly from sessions to session as well - I'd definitely reccomend this method to anybody who wants to diversify the OPCOM objectives/spawns.

9. highhead

20 Dec 2017 Administrator
    Edited 6 years ago by highhead

This is not how the module is intended to be used and it will not work reliably, since the position is relevant for identifaction of the module and init.sqf may run after the module has been initialised. sorry.

10. @highhead This is not how the module is intended to be used and it will not work reliably, since the position is relevant for identifaction of the module and init.sqf may run after the module has been initialised. sorry.

It seems to work perfectly fine on my missions. I have all of the custom objectives set to spawn at random inside a placement radius, as well as the Asymmetric Military AI Commander - I checked the mission using Zeus and made all entities editable so it would show the location of all of the modules. Each test run showed the modules popping up in different locations, and eventually, the insurgency starting to spread around the Military AI Commander location.

Now if you're speaking from a persistence standpoint, I could see how this method might mess with that and I haven't really tried to test out the persistence but otherwise it seems pretty functional.

11. Besides persistence, I think he's coming from the "Arma init order is not reliable" angle.... meaning that on heavy missions (for example.. especially in MP) the order at which things initialize might not be what it should.. which would cause issues with the module placement happening after ALiVE fires up.

That being said if it's working in your mission then it's a feature!!!

or Sign Up to reply!