Question regarding Invasion scenarios with Blufor having very small starting position.

1. 6 years ago

So here is my question,

I have several campaigns I'm creating that involve the campaign beginning with a Naval invasion from a fleet or with the players and their allies starting in a very very small area of the map and gradually working their way across the entire map.

As the inital blufor force will be very small...as they proceed to capture objectives and establish more of a foothold...will the AI commander call in reinforcements to hold the ever increasing objectives held by his forces?

For example...let's say I have 20 initial units for Blufor with 1-2 starting objectives. As my forces move inland...will the AI commander ONLY call in more troops if my units drop below 20? Or will the AI commander call in troops to hold each future objective we take? Or....would the players need to use the ALiVE logisitics to call in troops manually to hold these new objectives (which would then be taken over by the AI Commander of course).

FYI, the Mil Obj module/CIv Obj Module for these campaigns is set to 400 per due to the size of the map. But the actual units starting out for the players and their allies (that I virtualize or have at the current objectives spawned) number around 20 or so.

This is important to note how this works as it will aid me in creating these types of invasion scenarios.

2. Try the dynamic reinforcements option in Military Logistics. Pretty sure this is exactly what it's designed for.

3. I'm pretty sure dynamic reinforcement only means that the logistics can be brought in to multiple locations if the original location is compromised, not necessarily bumping up the number of units provided to hold on to newly captured objectives.

4. My bad. I should have clarified I meant force pool:

Dynamic - availability of replacement forces is dependent on the number, type and size of objectives held by friendly forces. Capturing more objectives will increase the size of the pool. For example, this may be used in a Counter Insurgency scenario where insurgent forces are living off the land.

5. ^^^Which actually sounds pretty great and something I should try.

Give it a shot dude. I think this is exactly what you're looking for.

6. Welp..I guess that answers it. Good deal.

This will also work well with the new Arma 3 Aircraft Carrier that's included in the Jets DLC Bohemia just announced!

7. I really hope transport/CAS will able to use it. And that AI will be able to pathfind on it. I'm hopeful but I have my doubts. Is it on Dev?

8. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Oh hey @AUTigerGrad I'm working my way through ORBAT regrouping RHS so they start working again. Spyder added some super easy to use functionality at some point in the past, so I should be able to get this done for the currently "approved" groups soon (MSV, US Army, etc), and I may go through some others that were never working too (US Special Forces, etc).

With the goal for these to be incorporated directly into ALiVE as they traditionally have been. If you were planning on this, don't worry. I got it. Got MSV done yesterday.

NOTE: I realize some of these factions do appear to be working right (such as US Army and USMC), but just to be safe, it's easy enough to freshen up the staticData. Just a few minutes per faction (on my end at least lol. Thanks for doing the rest Spyder).

9. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@AUTigerGrad How is the dynamic force pool working out for you? I really like the idea, because if setup well, would pretty much ensure human players would have little AI interference at the beginning, and as you make profess, you'd get rewarded with additional groups as you make your way across the map. Like a game within a game and a real strategy-fest with lots of incentive to succeed.

I'd think this would be perfect for full map battles (which are my favorite).

Have you tried this out yet? If so, any observations I should keep in mind?

10. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Quick question. Does dynamic force pool only impact the number in the pool itself, or does that translate to simultaneous boots on the ground too?

Kinda wondering if I start with 20 friendly profiles in active battle, as I take objectives, will I get more than 20 to play along side (enough to hold each objective taken), or will I never exceed the starting active on-the-ground profile numbers?

I realize the pool itself increases/decreases as objectives change hands. But is there any way to have dynamic profiles on the map? Maybe that's the way it works? And do they come automatically or do I have to manually request them from the pool to be dropped off via the logistics tablet or something?

11. Edited 6 years ago by marceldev89

IIRC, that's correct. Currently the "starting active on-the-ground profile numbers" are used for reinforcements regardless of force pool type. You can manually change the values during the mission though, I think I posted a snippet for that somewhere.

EDIT: I did but I couldn't get it to work properly at the time. I believe it requires some changes before it can work. Here's the snippet though if you want to try:

[
        OPCOM_INSTANCE, // The instance of the OPCOM you wish to update
        "startForceStrength",
        [
            0, // Infantry
            0, // Motorized
            0, // Mechanized
            0, // Armored
            0, // Artillery
            0, // AAA
            0, // Air
            0  // Sea