Server performance @ 0 fps - Need advice

1. 7 years ago

Hello folks,

Firstly i would like to thank you for your awsome mod and this community where i learnt a lot as i tend to lurk in these forums a lot.

I'm having a strange problem while hosting a particular Alive mission on a rented server. (Not Dedicated)

While on my PC* while i host with TADST the server performance ranges from 15-50 (15 on big cities with alot CQB) on my rented server i'm starting with 0 server fps and mission doesn't spawn the virtual groups when i'm on top of them nor the CQB units.

Players can join, move and do stuff normaly.

Some notes, i use 2 AI Commanders with ~300 Objectives each. Map Al Rayak.
    Mods: Alive,CBA,CUP,RHS

Other Alive missions hosted in Tanoa with around same Objectives load fine on rented server with fps range 15-46.

Any advice? (I might need to just lower the AI Objectives to 80 each?)

I can provide the logs if needed.

*i7-4790k @ 4,5Ghz / 16Gb DDR3

2. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

I would definitely lower the objective count down to at least 150 or so. Having the commanders deal with that many objectives will slow them down significantly.

3. 150 per OPCOM or 150 total?

4. per

5. Thanks. I have an Altis mission with 110 per (which is my highest for any mission by far) and wasn't sure if it was actually playable that way.

6. Thanks a lot for your answers. I'll do the changes and i'll report back.

7. Alright after the changes i have some better results but not quite as i would expect.

Both AI Commanders have ~130 Objectives each.

My system runs everything 30-50 server fps, even the CQB in towns with 30 server fps while hosted with TADST. (Mission load time 3-4minutes)

On the other hand rented server is struggling with 5-10 server fps. (Mission load time 15+ minutes!)

I guess i have to keep on reducing objectives? Is it the map that has this problem? Is it my host?

By the way since i saw some people are hosting ALiVE in servers, do any of you have a good one to recommend that can handle the above? (If it's allowed to link that is)

8. Yeah obviously this is a server issue at this point. @AUTigerGrad what server provider did you just switch to?

9. Update: I downloaded the Operation Landlord and it runs butter smooth on the rented server.

On another notice i saw that with my mission the RAM hogs at 2Gb which is i believe the cap for the Arma executable, and with Operation Landlord i'm just at 1,1Gb.

It might be RAM issue?

10. Heya,
    I have been having a raft of fps slow downs. Almost like a memory leak. Plays fine and 10 to 30 minutes in its a slideshow.

Have been testing performance exe's from here:
    https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/160288-arma-3-stable-server-162-performance-binary-feedback/page-80#entry3068279

Big improvement for me.

11. Thanks for the info.

I'll try to contact my host and replace the executable on the server.

I'll update with results.

And yea if you know a host that works good with ALiVE please let me know.

12. Might be worth a test using just vanilla (ie: CBA and ALiVE only) - just to rule out some mod issues.

13. Hello SavageCDN,

I run the Operarion Landlord from the mission here on forum and run perfectly fine with the server fps ranging pretty high. (That only needed ALiVE + CBA)

I also run an Asymetric full map Tanoa with very good results. Server FPS around 20-25 playable.
    If i take some time to optimize it for less Objectives it will be much better.

All those on the rented server.
    On my machine i never had a problem with anything.

I suspect the problem might be the map? I think it got updated some days ago.
    Does that need re-indexing?

14. Yes that might be the issue if the map has been updated. If you can post your server's RPT file to pastebin.com and link back here and I'll take a look.

15. I couldn't paste the log because of size.

I uploaded them here: https://mega.nz/#F!lUIXFLqK!oU2BnAkXFIylwN0OEQf9CQ

One file is with ~130 Objectives and another one with ~60 Objectives.

16. Yeah that's a busy log file. I see you are using TCAdmin - does your provider have a startup parameter called -noLogs? If so enable that and re-test (note this means no more stuff written to RPT file which will speed up a slow (disk) server but not provide any troubleshooting information).

Some of the performance issues could also be due to mod conflicts but that is harder to nail down and involves running tests with some of the mods disabled, etc.

17. One think i don't get is how can i manage to host + play fine from my machine with TADST but rented server struggles so much. (And i run the game from HDD not even SSD)

I'll try with -noLogs when i'll find some spare time.

Thanks for your time looking at the RPTs.

18. I think it's very possible this is similar to the issue AuTigerGrad just reported and I'm fairly certain it had to do the RAM or memory available on the rented server. Once he switched companies/server hosts, everything was fine. I summoned him yesterday with the power of the @ symbol. :) Hopefully he pops in.

I think if the mission is running fine in TADST that these additional mission troubleshooting steps are a waste of time. I'm not suggesting you might not be able to configure the rented server better. But chasing mod compatibilities and wondering about indexing will probably not get you anywhere if TADST is ok with the same files loaded.

19. Edited 7 years ago by SavageCDN

I find it depends on the provider - some are better than others. I've seen providers with mis-configured servers and often they refuse to change anything to improve the situation.

Do you have your own server or is it shared hosting? If your server is SSD then -noLogs probably won't make much of a difference.

Try one of the demo missions that come with ALiVE (Operation Landlord) which require only CBA and ALiVE. This will rule out any possible mission issues.

http://alivemod.com/missions

20. @SavageCDN I already used Operation Landlord as described above.

@Ludi I'm using the performance executable v10 on server right now but no change on FPS.

Now on some interesting notes. I noticed that when i uploaded the same mission with NO CQB modules and having both AI Commanders linked to Military Module (1200 units) and Civilian Module (1200 units) full map battle in Invasion mode (instead of Invasion-BLU_F and Asymetric-OPF_F) it runs perfectly fine with ~250 Objectives each Commander and server FPS at 30.

Any thoughts on this? Is Asymetric mode + CQB modules heavy for the CPU?

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!