Much needed advice!

1. 9 years ago
    Edited 9 years ago by Krazo

Hello there people,
    I would like to know perhaps of a way I could make a more complex campaign-like mission. I have an idea for four different factions on Altis. NATO had begun an invasion to prevent CSAT occupation. Two rebel groups also fight each other and the two 'official' military groups. My question here is, How would this be done?

I have attached an image of which represents an idea of the area in which each faction would have control; Red - CSAT │ Blue - NATO │ Light Green - Small Rebel Group │Dark Green - Large Rebel Group

The remaining area (purple) I see as 'no mans land' and so would be taken and contested for against each faction, how would that be done? In a basic mission you'd simply have four quarters of the map and then assign each ai a segment however I'd like to get a more emphasised point of 'Rising'. Gaining territory etc.

Additionally a few days ago I used Zeus and MCC as an editor to make bases for a mission. It appeared that as soon as I placed a Military AI Commander module the game would stop at loading at 100% and remain on the altis loading screen, why is this?

I appreciate an answers and advice that can be given!
    Krazo

Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/q77nl31a4shg9s9/Arma%203%20Mission%20Idea.png?dl=0

2. I don't have time to answer everything but
    " It appeared that as soon as I placed a Military AI Commander module the game would stop at loading at 100% and remain on the altis loading screen, why is this?"

- This could be the game just taking awhile to load, give it 5-10 min max to see if it is crashing or just taking awhile to load since the Opcom may have too many objectives.

3. Currently you can only have 3 sides fighting (BLUFOR, INDFOR, and OPFOR) each other. There are some scripty things you can do with Civilians and the Renegade status but that takes a bit of work and is better suited for players.

The ALiVE CQB Module on Altis and Bornholm seem to take the longest for my server to initialize, which is down to around 10 minutes now. I've found that the higher you set the "% change of building being occupied" the longer it takes to initialize. Removing the CQB module all together makes the map load in about 3 minutes.

I'm not saying to remove the CQB Module though - I wouldn't want to use ALiVE without it! I am just saying that if you are testing out the map (mostly just for Altis/Bornholm) and only want to test out different configurations of Opcoms and Placements, leave out the CQB module until after you are satisfied with it, then put it back in for a final test prior to going live.

Also, make sure you are syncing your Placement (and Logistics, if desired) modules to your OPCOMs, and that both have their side/faction set up properly - you probably already know that much though :)

One last thing - if you used MCC to make bases and saved it to clipboard then pasted it to a mission.sqm, make sure that you go back into the mission.sqm after saving to check dependencies. Also, sometimes if you do that with MCC, stuff ends up on the map in the editor that you should probably delete, so look over your map carefully.

It seems tedious and it is, but I am a perfectionist with the maps I make for my group :P

4. Rath, Spyder. I seriously appreciate all the questions you have answered. Severely grateful. All you have said has most certainly been taken into account and I shall do all of the above. Unfortunately the load time was most definately an issue considering I waited up to 15 minutes for the mission to start. If the load can take longer then that is not a problem I shall just wait it out! Additionally as said before the image I have linked is my idea for a campaign. Is this actually possible? Watching the first new ALiVE quick mission tutorial he sets two TOAR's. East and West. Is it possible to have bases for the three factions, considering the limitation to three factions as of now, and a large area of which every faction will try to occupy? The only way I suppose I can explain this would be to say is it possible to have a map with empty objectives which can be taken with time by each of the factions?
    Most appreciated!
    Krazo

P.S. In terms of the load time the game is still running when I was at 15 minutes. It hadn't crashed at this point so maybe I just needed to wait longer.

5. Hi Krazo, it should never take 15 minutes to complete, I have a mission with 3000 ALiVE placed AI, about 300 editor placed units and objects, around 30 scripts running and pretty much all of the ALiVE modules placed; all of that takes around 2 minutes to load. :/ Anyway, the majority of loading time is caused by module initialisation, so it's almost certainly that. Are you using mission persistence?

As for your idea, yup, very possible. Place a TAOR marker over each corner you want a faction in, and the main part simply blacklist all of the corner TAOR markers :) But like Rath said, getting civilians to fight isn't too easy.

6. I have seen several threads recently on Reddit about the game just refusing to load up so it might be a larger issue at play. Just something to keep in mind if you have a small amount of units and it still won't load up. Good luck with your mission idea.

7. Gonna steal Spencer42's advice from a different post, make sure your modules are synced together and not grouped together. Grouping causes problems.

8. Excellent Spyder, much appreciation!

9. I have now struck a new and most peculiar problem. When starting the mission the map screen loads once and then twice. When the second load finishes I can see my character for roughly 1-1 and a half seconds before another loading screen appears which remains at 100% loading. This is becoming a very odd situation.
    Krazo

10. Spyder I've picked up on what you were saying, I see you answered another person's issue with the same problematic factors. Perhaps a hotfix is due...

11. Just tested. My server loaded at 12 minutes 40 seconds. Seems to be working.

12. My missions as well have the double-triple load screens. Probably just an issue credited to scripts loading up after ALiVE does. At least you got it working.

or Sign Up to reply!