/author is not a value

1. 7 years ago

I have been getting the error pop-up '/author is not a value' at the start of my Alive missions since 1.60 update. I have been getting it when enabling some other mods too.

Does anybody know what the problem is and how to fix it?

It is quite annoying seeing a full screen pop-up error for something that seems like a trivial config error.

2. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Please try reproducing with only the latest versions of CBA and ALiVE (If you haven't already). I am not seeing this error.

3. Thanks for the quick reply.

They are both from steam.

I'll double check they have both self-updated. I know Alive definitely has because i re-downloaded it using steam today.

4. CBA_A3?

I'll try repairing it and verifying cache, i'll let you know.

5. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Don't bother. This error is related to a change BIS made to how authors credit themselves (from I understand. Don't quote me on that). Why they didn't make the old way legacy code is anyone's guess but I am no expert (far from it).

I don't think it's CBA being faulty. This needs to be fixed by a bunch of different mod authors.

6. If all you are using is CBA and ALiVE and the error still occurs, please post the list of modules that you are using, thanks.

7. I am using others, all together,
    but it only appears when i use Alive.

8. Good news, It's fixed. I verified my cache and it said it was fine but then i also got a download of i think 6.8 mb and then it was fixed. So i can't tell whether it was a data repair or a BIS hotfix, either way, it's sorted now. Thanks

9. Edited 7 years ago by DLEGION

hi guys.
    with just CBA_a3 version 2.4.0 and ALiVE downloaded yesterday,
    i still get the error with the following modules:

• required
    • virtual AI
    • military commander
    • mil_obj
    • civ_obj
    • CQB
    • player combat logistic
    • ci2star
    • civ placement
    • civ population
    • player support artillery
    • player support cas

--------EDIT---------
    tried delete all the others....still get error with just
    - required module

10. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Could you share the mission that's showing this error with CBA and ALiVE with just the Required module? Spyder says he can't duplicate the error so that could be useful.

EDIT: Here's a thread on BIS fourms which does a decent job explaining what causes this error.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/191166-error-author-is-not-a-value/

11. sure, but i just opened the editor, set a new mission in stratis, put an ammo bearer (blu) and a ALIVE required module.

12. Yerrr, turns out the my fix sorted everything...EXCEPT Alive...

Still the /author error

13. Damn ! So what we can do ?

14. They need to be able to duplicate the issue with ALiVE and CBA only. If someone has a mission file with the error and only those mods, please share the file.

15. ok how share it ?

here is a link to the mission file.

http://www.filedropper.com/mission_20

16. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

So I was thinking of running this with ALiVE and CBA and posting the logs back here later. If you're around, perhaps you could post the logs? They're located in userprofile\local\appdata\arma3

Launch the game and the mission. Make sure you see the error. Close the game. Find the log from that session. Copy/paste it to pastebin or host the file on Dropbox or whatever and link it back here for the Devs to look at.

17. ok here is the RPT file, hope its that waht you need.

EDIT: it wont let me post it, maybe too long.
    i'll ad to filedropper.

http://www.filedropper.com/arma32016-06-0200-19-33

18. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

I believe I have identified the source of the error, BIS please. It is harmless though.

Edit: The deed is done...

19. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Thanks Spyder. And thanks DLEGION for the repro.

20. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@SpyderBlack723 It is harmless though.

I don't doubt you at all Spyder but something is broken on mission start right now and this is the only startup error I can see.

Would you guys be willing to consider this an important enough error to hotfix?

My mission complete trigger set to go off when all OPFOR are dead, activates on mission start suddenly (and note: I'm working on a SP mission right now with triggers galore and triggers work fine as they always have). Something is causing ALiVE to delay spawning profiles which was introduced with 1.60.

My profile counter can say 60 OPFOR and then 110 OPFOR on mission start with the only thing changing being just restarting the mission.

I have around 90 Platoon in one of my missions set to spawn on mission start for BLUFOR (with filtering, which used to equal about 11-15 squads under Operations reliably and consistently) and now the most I can muster without changing anything is 5 squads in the Operations tab. That doesn't make sense. It's the same behavior I saw a month ago when I was having startup errors before I 'cleaned' my missions.

And there's more. I'm not saying ALiVE and this error specifically are the culprit but it's the only obvious thing I can see right now that's consistently giving me an error and every one of my missions are messed up and oddly really random with spawned profiles on the start of a mission (OPFOR can fluctuate between 60 and 110).

Something is messing with the initialization process with this mod. I feel like it's probably this error but who knows. For all I know it's some new conflict that got introduced with 1.60 with a unit pack or something, but during my time here, if I've learned if anything is that ALiVE is a delicate flower that does not play nicely with startup errors and this is definitely one of those.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!