ALiVE Open Source

1. 7 years ago

Friznit

10 May 2016 Administrator
    Edited 7 years ago by Tupolov

ALiVE.OS
    Open Source Advanced Light Infantry Virtual Environment

Since you're all lovely people we thought it only right that you got a heads up on the ALiVE.OS release. We kept ALiVE closed during dev to facilitate source management, version control and support for what we knew was going to be quite a complex beast. However, we always intended to open up the source code once we had achieved a stable, feature complete release. We are now largely content that we have achieved that, notwithstanding the few bugs that you guys keep throwing up (which is great by the way, keep doing it!)

So as of today we have changed the licence from a restricted Creative Commons to an open GPL v2 for all builds after 1.0.5.1605051 (the latest official release) and put ALiVE in a public git repo for everyone to fork as you wish. There are some caveats and everything is explained in the licence file but in short:

1. ALiVE is free software and may not be monetized in any way (that includes servers that try to get around it with "donations for perks")
    2. You may release forks of ALiVE but please make it clear that it's not an official version to avoid confusing everyone.
    3. We strongly encourage everyone to help develop the official Master version using git Branches and Pull Requests.

Not So Frequently Asked Questions

• Why GPL v2? It's an older licence but most of the other big mods like ACE use it, so it'll facilitate code sharing.
    • What about ALiVE Plugin? The War Room and its API Plugin (ALiVEPlugIn.dll and ALiVEPlugIn.so ) remain closed for now. Too much propriety stuff in there but there's nothing to stop a clever person getting funky with sys_data and exploring local DB options. ALiVEClient.DLL used for map indexing and some future advanced features is also closed. If you wish to contribute to either, please contact us.
    • Mikero's Tools? They're needed for building and indexing maps but the ones we include are an older freeware version. I strongly encourage everyone to buy the latest from Mikero's site. Without his genius, ArmA modding would not be possible.

Go nuts!
    https://github.com/ALiVEOS/ALiVE.OS.git

2. First

3. Sweeett! :D

4. Going to be really interesting to see what comes out of this.

You guys have done an amazing job with ALiVE and have brought ARMA to a whole new level for me and my friends. Thanks for all the work you've put in and all the hours I know you'll continue to put into this mod.

5. Congrats guys! Will be awesome to see where this goes in the future!

6. Does this mean we can report bugs we find as issues on the Git page now?

7. Friznit

15 May 2016 Administrator
    Edited 7 years ago by Friznit

Yes it does! Was just about to post exactly that.

Please posts bugs and feature requests here: https://github.com/ALiVEOS/ALiVE.OS/issues

Obviously it would be useful for us if you could confirm it genuinely is a bug with ALiVE and not local issue. As always, test with just ALiVE and CBA first posting.

8. I'm looking forward to this! I'm glad the Arma 3 Dev community is embracing open-source, as they should. This is how we progress, instead of spreading over encumbered dev team thin, attempting to do the impossible. Cheers to you & the Ace guys! Thank you for all the hard work.

or Sign Up to reply!