CSAT and IND spawning instead of modded faction

1. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

So I've been having this issue for quite awhile now and I'm honestly out of ideas for how to go about fixing it. The specific problem is that occasionally, CSAT or IND Guerillas will spawn even though I'm using a modded force faction in all of my modules.

Originally this was happening with CAF Aggressors, so I changed the faction to CUP Takistani's and the problem still occurs. Basically 90% of the time, the CORRECT faction spawns but occasionally vanilla units will show up instead. I've done quite a bit of troubleshooting on this and at this point I feel like the only way to resolve it would be for a dev to perhaps talk me through the inner workings of how ALiVE works and any additional steps I can take because I'm out of ideas.

My troubleshooting has involved redownloading of the factions completely, redownloadong ALiVE, deleting and replacing every single OPFOR entity and module on the map and removing any ALiVE module or feature and any additional mod throwing errors with no luck. I'm not suggesting all errors are elminated but they're definitely minimized and cleaner than some other people's missions using the same mods as me that don't have this specific problem (example: AuTigerGrad's British Steel on Steam Workshop uses the same mods as me and doesn't have this problem. Best insurgency mission ever IMO but has plenty of errors. I tested it).

I'm willing to do all the leg work here, I just need some guidance because I've tapped out any idea I can think of. Here's a rpt from last night where I backed out of the game the second vanilla units spawned, hoping that the very end of the rpt would have my answer. However I'm assuming I'd need to have a certain module debugged to show the actual cause but I have no idea which one would be the most useful:

http://pastebin.com/KaENzAZD

2. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Here's two missions. One is a super simple setup on Isola Di Capraia and the other, for anyone not inclined to download a map pack just to help me, is a slightly more complex mission on Takistan. The mod requirements are the same aside from the former needing the Isola Di Capraia map (I use AiA on that one and CUP on Takistan but CUP should work for both). The mods:

CBA
    ALiVE
    Spyder Addons
    3CB Weapons
    3CB Equipment
    3CB Vehicles
    3CB Units
    CAF Aggressors
    CAF Audio Patch
    Burnes Foxhound (download link if needed: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8kommnftolowc8f/AADMGYDJJ8Mtns3ZKbd8EbiCa?dl=0 )
    CUP Terrains
    Isola Di Capraia (for one of the missions)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tmkh4h26cw9a2op/Operation_Hellhound.IsolaDiCapraia.pbo?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3i9amoa8l1aq1s9/Parasol.Takistan.pbo?dl=0

^^^Here are two missions which can easily duplicate this error. What's interesting is I think since deleting and replacing the modules in both these specific missions "in house," my current builds actually seemed fixed. However in a couple other missions I'm working on, deleting and starting over isn't helping. Consider these more of a showcase of the issue.

I'm assuming the most useful thing I can actually post is a rpt from when the error happens, I just need to know what modules need to be debugged so you guys can see the appropriate information.

3. When your mission is hosted do others on it see the issue at the same time as you? Will tell you if it's client or server side issue.

4. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

I haven't hosted the missions. I can't justify sharing them if I'm forcing people to take on Taliban, OPF_F and IND_F all at the same time.

The problem is just so strange. I can teleport around the map and see nothing but the correct faction for ages, until eventually a vanilla squad will appear.

Like I said I thought I had this fixed by deleting and replacing all of the OPFOR entities and modules and not using any feature (such as the new Intel option) that was causing errors. In some cases this has given me success but in other cases it simply does not work.

I have to wonder at this point if this is happening to other people too, but that they'd just not know about it. To see this happen one would need to teleport to all units on the map and wait for them all to spawn in around them. In some cases I need to go around the map twice, teleporting to every virtual unit generated by ALiVE.

If you were actually "playing" the mission and not testing, in some cases someone could probably play for hours and hours and not actually see this happen. Other times you'll see it pretty much right away.

5. Dude I would try hosting. I've found it only seems to happen in editor so could be a 3den thing. Try hosting it. Password it and do your TP Magic.

6. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@Sheeps Wait, have you seen this issue? Which faction or factions?

I have hosted my missions for myself before. I should have said that. I noticed this problem a couple weeks ago when playing one of my missions hosted locally with TADST dedicated server. I was just playing normally and CSAT spawned.

Been troubleshooting the issue off and on ever since. Unfortunately I don't think this is an editor problem.

7. @all: I experienced the above described problems with CAF AG on the very same Kunduz map and with ACE+RHS+BWMOD. Also I host for myself a server with TADST. I have tried all the measures and tips from the other thread.

For me, first tests with CUP Taliban instead of CAF show no CSAT units. I will keep you up to date if I spot CSAT in my setup. Might help if you set the OPFOR placement module force composition to "light infantry" and manually disable (=set to 0) mechanized, air and SPECOPS units - these are not defined for CAF or CUP Taliban I think and so might lead to the spawning of default units.

Just an idea, but maybe it helps....

Be back once I have played the mission longer,

tourist

8. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@tourist OMG thank goodness someone else is experiencing this and trying to track the issue. I was about to give up hope. That and try @SpyderBlack723's suggestion of the sacrifice to the Arma Gods. Do you think Amazon will take the goat I ordered to slaughter back?

What civs will you use if you end up determining CAF is indeed the problem?

Also, just to save me some time, did you try putting the 0's and Light Infantry stuff into the modules with CAF or is this something you've only tried with CUP? I can't see me spending any time testing that if you've already tried it and failed.

EDIT: We can also rule out maps being the issue. I can duplicate this on Takistan, Reshmaan, Isola Di Capraia, N'Ziwasogo and apparently now Kunduz.

9. Ok good to know about the maps. I ran into another stupid bug preventing me from loading my game: I tried blastcore effects in the client instance but now it says I can't jon my server because blastcore_vep is missing...

So I must re-start the mission anyways without blastcore - and can double-check if my settings help with CAF as OPFOR. I use them as CIVs with no problem alongside the CUp Taliban.

10. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Take your time man. I actually did a test with CUP Takistani's and CAF civs and the issue still persisted. I'd be curious to see if that combo ends up working for you. Also, bare in mind too that if you're actually playing your mission, it would be perfectly normal not to see the problem unless you plan on encountering every enemy on the map. The best way to truly test it is to teleport.

Again, thanks SO much for backing me up here. It really means a lot and together hopefully we can find the root of the problem. If you want to organize a specific test (you test A and I test B, etc), I'm more than happy to. Two people testing will go much faster than one.

11. Edited 7 years ago by Sheeps

@HeroesandvillainsOS dude I mentioned ages ago that I had experienced it

12. @sheeps LOL! Sorry. Been in my own cyclone trying to sort this thing out that I forgot you actually started the thread. :) My apologies.

13. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@tourist @all: I experienced the above described problems with CAF AG on the very same Kunduz map and with ACE+RHS+BWMOD. Also I host for myself a server with TADST. I have tried all the measures and tips from the other thread.

For me, first tests with CUP Taliban instead of CAF show no CSAT units. I will keep you up to date if I spot CSAT in my setup. Might help if you set the OPFOR placement module force composition to "light infantry" and manually disable (=set to 0) mechanized, air and SPECOPS units - these are not defined for CAF or CUP Taliban I think and so might lead to the spawning of default units.

Just an idea, but maybe it helps....

Be back once I have played the mission longer,

tourist

With CAF at least, putting 0 in the mechanized/air/spec-OP's doesn't work; at least while keeping it set to "random." I was doubtful this would work anyway because the CSAT that spawns is infantry. It was worth a try I guess.

EDIT: Check that. I caught a typo. Will test again.

EDIT2: CSAT is still spawning.

14. Do you host on your own PC or have you a dedi at a data centre?

15. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

I host on my own PC.

Honestly at this stage I'm going to go out on a limb and say not being able to duplicate this with British Steel and on a sample mission on Stratis was just a fluke and just go ahead and remove CAF entirely. I guess I'll have to assume just having it in my mod line was why this was happening with CUP Takistani's too.

Really not sure why a dev hasn't hopped in this thread or the other (it seems like a pretty important issue) so I'm just going to take it that they think this is the answer too.

16. Well, I think you already covered the issue of mod selection when reporting that British Steel uses the same modset as you and there the problems don't appear, but just to be safe, I'll share my modline and then later I'll report if the teleporting shows me CSAT when I have CUP Taliban on.

@ace_optionals;@ace3;@ALiVE;@AliveServer;@ana;@asr_ai3;@bc_phoenix;@bc_skies;@blastcore-physics;@blastcore-tracers;@blood_splatters;@bwa3;@BWMOD_Comp;@CAF_AG_1.5.2_hotfixed;@CAF_AG_AudioPatch;@cba_a3;@cup_ace_compatibility;@cup_terrains_core;@cup_terrains_maps;@cup_units;@cup_vehicles;@cup_weapons;@dynasound;@hlcmods_core;@hlcmods_g3;@hlcmods_g36;@KGB_DINGO;@Kunduz Afghanistan;@mh_sound;@nato_russian_sf_weapons;@niarmsg3_ace;@niarmsg3_cup;@niarmsg3_rhs;@niarmsg36_ace;@niarmsg36_bwa3;@niarmsg36_cup;@niarmsg36_rhs;@rds_ag_comp;@rhs_afrf3;@rhs_usf3;@smills_vest_and_helmet;@spyder_addons;@TacticalBeards;@tpwcas_a3;@tryk;@vcom_driving"

I had to put all the sound and effects mod on to the server because when I played and server-save-exited the mission as client with these mods loaded clientside only, I couldn't re-join without them being on both server AND client the other day.

So yesterday I ran a test with CUP as Taliban and CAF as civs and played for two hours, but without teleporting around. Will do this teleporting in the Editor and in-game and test if I ever see CSAT. BTW, how did you teleport? ALIVE admin option?

17. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

How I'm testing this is using the SP Editor, I enter player allowDamage false; into the debug console in the esc menu (click local exec) to make me invincible, and use the commander tablet to enable teleporting and debug the virtual AI module.

Note: "Ghosting" via the tablet doesn't work in the SP editor which is why I run the debug God-mode code.

Anyway, the fastest way to test this is to teleport yourself to all of enemy markers on the map and wait for them to virtualize and be identified. The easiest way to identify them is to hover your mouse over the unit in the map. Once I've established all the units that have spawned are CAF, I teleport to the next OPFOR marker on the map. I do this until I've teleported to every single squad and identified every enemy the map has to offer. Sometimes I do this twice because as time goes on the insurgency can grow and new squads can appear.

18. Note: "Ghosting" via the tablet doesn't work in the SP editor which is why I run the debug God-mode code.

Ghosting is working great in SP editor. You will be visible for you self but not for the AI around.

19. ^ can confirm ghosting works fine although I do it through Alive key > Admin Actions > Enable Ghosting

20. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Interesting. Can the units still be identified/revealed on the map with their unit name when Ghosting? That's sort of the point of this test.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!