Insta-joining AI group only teleports close to group but doesn't assign into group

1. 8 years ago
    Edited 8 years ago by Asmodeus

Hello there ALiVE devs and community!

This is my first topic here so I'd like to start by thanking how great an installation ALiVE is! Very excited to see what I can come up with it for a dedicated server later down the road :)

I'm creating a mission where the OPCOM does its duties, managing attacking and defending troops and would like that the players that join the game have the ability to join any AI group be its current task anything.

For this we have the ALiVE_Tablet feature Commander actions -> Operations -> select a group from the list to join.

Joining a group teleports my character close to the group but does not seem to get assigned in the group as is presented in this ALiVE Testing Command & Intel Tablets video.

So far I haven't been able to figure whether this behavior is because of conflicting something like Zeus module(s), another mod (using only CBA, ALiVE, JSRS2.5, sthud), a missing ALiVE module or a setting I've managed to miss in some of the ALiVE modules. Or maybe because I'm running it locally through the editor?

I'd appreciate if anyone would have pointers what I've missed or what's the likely reason that the character does not get assigned into group.

2. Hi,
    was your FPS/game Performance low during your time of testing. I see this is listed as an issue when the game may be performing poorly.

3. Edited 8 years ago by Asmodeus

Hi Spyder,

only time I noticed change in performance was when I apparently hit the max spawned units limit and the garbage collector wasn't removing dead bodies etc. so long I happened to be in the vicinity of the stuff that was supposed to be collected. In that case OPCOM did not seem to be giving any further orders to the AI, so I teleported far away, let the garbage collector do its thing and everything was running smoothly again.

But that's not even the main point.
    (This is:) I just made a new mission with nothing else but the basic minimum needed for a simple mission with ALiVE_Tablet to teleport myself close to a AI group.
    Teleporting still works as expected, but seemingly I'm still not being assigned into that AI group.
    Funny thing with that is that they act like I'm part of their group since the group slows down the pace the farther I stay away and if I keep close to them they keep moving fast.

For some reason I'm not getting the squad member indicators (white boxes) and requesting leader position does not return anything.

I'm using elite difficulty but (IMO) even that is not the case: if I add myself manually into the group using Zeus (when included in the mission) I can see the squad member indicators, can request leader position succesfully and I'm hearing the "movement/engage enemy" commands the group leader is giving.

4. Just did a quick test, encountered some issues. It would enter the screen notifying you of the switch but not completing the actual switch (and closing the menu without moving the player). I was messing around with some WIP code over the weekend though and might have borked something on my end, will try to test again with a clean reset sometime this week.

5. Appreciated!

Will keep waiting for further developments.

Greetings

Asmodeus

6. Any news on this?

Tested also with A3 1.56.134787, @CBA_A3 2.3.1.160220 and @ALiVE 1.0.2.1603251 with no change compared to the original behaviour.

How this insta-join behaves is quite the same as I noticed here: Error in Personnel

Although with insta-join the player character is teleported close to the chosen AI group there is no actual connection with the group created which also seems to be the case with joining a group through C2ISTAR/Personnel tool.

7. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Yes, I've gone through everything and found the reason it no longer works is because we've introduced the slow-spawn system™ for profiles which allows for a smoother gameplay experience during heavy periods of AI spawning. However, this also means that the loading screen that pops up during joining/spectating groups can timeout due to running past it's maximum config duration. We are speculating on whether to increase the max config duration of the loadscreen (dangerous) or make a hacky workaround to get around it (messy).

I can assure you though that it's not forgotten.

Edit: Also, do not try to join vehicle groups, that will not work. (spectating vehicle groups should be fine).

8. Ahh, sounds like a "pick your poison" situation! I hope you'll arrive to some satisfactory outcome with this one!

or Sign Up to reply!