IED & Artillery questions

1. 8 years ago

1:
    Trying to find the best solution. As it stands, I've yet to encounter a single IED when the module is synced to the commander. Last few times playing, had the server running up to 10 hours, they had an initial spawn of 1200 (max) and their spawn area was ~90% of the AO, while the invading commander spawned on a very small area. Asymmetric commander was set to extreme for facilities. There were IED factories all over the map when using the debug view facilities, they had scads of troops from the get go, but still never encountered an IED. Suffice to say, this isn't exactly creating the high risk/tension travel environment I was hoping for. :-) As an aside, would it be possible to include another Asym commander option to set frequency/priority of IED placement?

So, I'm going to try the unsynced module. I've used it before, not ideal since it seems to be town-centric, but at least they're out there. When using this, is the "pool" of IEDs finite? IE, does it spawn a fresh batch each and every time I enter the town, or, once cleared, it's cleared forever? If the latter, is there a means to refresh it during the mission? Then I could just set after X time or X condition it gets reset.

2:
    For artillery support, where are the units defined that may be used by the support system? I gather they must be specified somewhere, as using the new mortars and tube artillery in RHS, they appear on the combat support page, but have no options (shell type, spread, etc) and thus cannot be used. I extracted staticData.sqf, added them in all the sections that the M109/2S3 appear, and used the init.sqf method of adding/overwriting staticData.sqf, but it didn't seem to work. However, there was no way to verify that it did indeed add/overwrite anything. I was unable to simply pack it into a new pbo just to confirm/deny this worked, as the internal structure seems to have changed drastically from prior ALIVE versions, and I've no idea what tool to use to repack. PBO manager packs but doesn't run in game, addonbuilder just gives an error message when attempting to pack.

Thanks! Absolutely loving ALIVE. This is easily one of my favorite additions to the game series, going all the way back to OFP.

2. 1.
    Don't forget the the IED's spawn in towns. I have never ran into IED's outside of towns. What map are you playing on?
    If you place the IED module down not synced to anything, then there will be an infinite pool of IED's. Every time you enter a town, the IED module will recalculate and decide whether to put down IED's or not. It does not depend on anything, it's just completely random.

I don't think there are specific units defined anywhere. Just got to figure it out I guess. I'm not surprised that the RHS artillery isn't working with ALiVE. The way they configure their content creates incompatibilities with lots of mods. I haven't used the Combat Support in a long time so going to have to get someone else to chime in on this.

3. Artillery should be compatible with all units now. It was working with RHS just a few patches ago, probably needs another look to see if something needs changed.

4. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Actually, after looking at the code, it looks like it has some manual RHS support in there (their units, like Dixon said, are probably configged oddly). It says RHS 0.3 however so it might need updating to match any changes since the update)

5. For the map, mostly Altis, a few times on Kunduz. I'd only tried unsynced a few times in passing and they were definitely there, just wasn't sure if they would remain a persistent threat, glad to hear they do, at least something to play with. Thanks!

Spyder, any chance you know which file(s) such references are made in for the arty? At least I can see if it's something I can get working in the mean time until/if an official fix comes around. Imagine such things are pretty low priority relative to "real" work on Alive. The RHS self propelled (M-109 & 2S3) definitely work, this is why I thought there must be something akin to faction mapping in general for arty, or explicitly for the RHS stuff. At least I know I didn't somehow sync the mortar/howitzer modules wrong. :)

6. Im curious if ALiVE artillery will work with MASSI Weapons/Vehicles/Factions Artillery.

7. Try it, I think Massi keeps his configs inline with standard BIS configs, so they might work.

8. The majority of the RHS artillery related code is directly imbedded in the function that checks for what rounds an artillery gun can use, so it's probably not possible to work around it.

If you really want, you could try manually editing the list inside the UI when the combat support artillery dialog opens but that seems like a bit much work

9. Ducky, using Massi's Altis Guerrillas pack mortars with combat support worked just fine. Imagine since they're from the static/vehicle pack, only the troops manning them change from one unit pack to the next, they should all get along with Alive.

10. cool. now to figure out how to make some manually placed ones work with the ALiVE AI faction so they can rain hell on people if needed.

or Sign Up to reply!