A few questions about how to get started

1. 8 years ago

Hello,

I recently discovered this mod and it looks really cool, however I have some questions about how to set it up correctly. (even after reading up on the wiki)

1, Does the actual placement of modules like objectives and CQB matter, or is it only the TAOR that do?

2, When I place the mil objectives module I can see nice circles of different sizes in the debug mode to show the base, but when I do the same with a civ module I only get large rectangles (the same size) independent of how big the settlement is. some of the large towns have several squares. I'm sure it is working as intended, but it would be nice with a bit more info.

3, Does the AI only have the units you give it at start, or can you make them respawn? I found the logistics module that seems to do what I want, so I guess it works if i give it an unlimited force pool?

4, Will the CQB module drain forces from the AI and will they come to reinforce the town if they drop to low?

5, Is it possible to "beat" the AI, like take all their fortifications and use that to trigger the end?

6, When I spawn BLU_F units they fire upon me even if I'm NATO, same happens with opfor, how do I prevent this?

7, The custom map Bornholm gets stuck in loading when using Alive, I guess this is an issue with the map but it is listed under supported maps.

Thank you for taking the time to read my questions!

2. Friznit

12 Aug 2015 Administrator

1. On some of them, yes. If you click the Info button on the modules it should give you an idea. The main ones are Combat Support (vehicles spawn at the location and azimuth of the module) and Mil/Civ Placement (the HQ is centred on the location of the module)

2. The markers indicate cluster coverage. Clusters is how the map analysis determines what area and type an objective should be. It's only really used for when we're indexing maps. For mission editing purposes, you only need to know whether it's a military or civilian objective.

3. This is indeed what the Logistics module does - technically it's Battle Casualty Replacements (replacing units that have been destroyed) and not Reinforcements (adding new units). Only a Player can add actual new units but accessing the Logistics Force Pool via the Player Combat Logistics module. You can then assign them to the AI Commander if you want.

4. CQB is an "ambient" module. It's a bit of fakery to make built up areas feel busier. It won't take units from the Logistics force pool or existing forces.

5. Yes. If you kill them all and they have no Logistics (or no Force Pool left) to replace losses, then they'll all be deaded. There are some scripts you can use to detect if no Profiled or Live units are left to trigger end of mission.

6. Pretty sure that's not ALiVE causing that to happen.

7. Works for me but takes a long time because it's a huge map. Try setting a small TAOR. If it's been updated recently then it might be broken again (sigh). Please check your rpt and if there are lots of errors then let me know and I'll check it out.

You're welcome - and hope you enjoy ALiVE :)

3. EDIT: Ninja'ed by Friz, yea Bornholm is broken

4. Edited 8 years ago by SavageCDN

Bah double ninja!

must remember to F5 before replying :)

5. Friznit

Why you break Bornholm Sypder? :(

6. Sorry, won't happen again ;(((((((((((((((((((((

7. Friznit

I shall reindex this weekend and get a dev build done too so we can all testerate it. Maybe do a release soon™ (when it's ready : P )

8. Edited 8 years ago by Imbazil

Thanks for the detailed answers Friznit! I'm really excited to get my map up and running.

Regarding number 6, where they shoot me even if I'm the same faction. I am not using any mods apart from Alive and CBA, tested it on both stratis and altis. My first thought was that the AI blamed me somehow for the death of air units spawning inside each other and exploding at mission start, but I experienced the same behavior when I decreased the number of units.

Will double check tomorrow and post a log if it happens again =)

Edit: also about the CQB module, will the ambient forces respawn if I leave the town, or maybe even while I'm in it? Or will it be empty once they are all shot?

9. Edit: also about the CQB module, will the ambient forces respawn if I leave the town, or maybe even while I'm in it? Or will it be empty once they are all shot?

If you kill them all it will be empty until you leave and come back.

10. Thanks once again for the help, i now feel more confident using all the modules!

Another question popped up last night, if I place a objective with say 200 units, will that commander only ever have 200 units at maximum? Or can he get more as the game progresses and you take over bases and such?

If I were to make an invasion scenario it would be unfair to the invader if they are up agains many bases and only have a handful themselves, i think you understand what im trying to say :)

11. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

They will never have more than their starting force strength. Even when calling in reinforcements via the Military Logistics module they will never call in enough units to break the starting force strength.

You can however manually make a side do this by calling in units and either handing them to opcom or by bringing them into your squad via the Player Combat Logistics module.

12. Ok, so if i spawn in a couple of groups by script later and hand them over to the ai it will increase the "pop-cap". Will those squads later be reinforced/respawned by the logistics module if they get killed?

Also when i choose how many troops should be in a mil objective-module, will that force be randomly spread out over the entire taor, or will the specified force spawn for each objective found?

Lastly i wondered if i set it to objectives only and place my own groups(synced to the ai) will they group together, get reinforced and do all the normal things the ai do? And once killed will it only be those units that come in or may the ai order something else?

Thanks again for all the help, right now i am unable to experiment but im getting ready for the weekend!

13. Friznit

14 Aug 2015 Administrator

Yes, they'll get reinforced too. Mil_Placement units are spread out across all objectives in the TAOR at mission start, starting with the closest high priority objective to the Placement module and working outwards until there are no groups left to place.

Manually placed groups will start where you place them and as long as they are profiled they'll get treated just like any other ALiVE group.

or Sign Up to reply!