How Many Placement Modules Do I Need?

1. 8 years ago

Using Eric's new guide to setting up ALiVE is working a lot better than the old, outdated information I was getting from the wiki.

However, there are a few parts that are not explained, such as how many Objective Placement modules for each respective type do I need to use every available base and town on a map? Just 1 per TAOR marker or 1 per objective? I am noticing that the debugging stuff is showing that everything I expected to be used is actually being seen as usable by ALiVE, but the actual mission zones are only in a radius (which I did not get to decide) around the spot I placed the modules themselves down.

If I want every town to be an objective, do I need to use a Civilian Objective placement marker for each town, or simply cover them with a TAOR marker and use 1?

2. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

If I want every town to be an objective, do I need to use a Civilian Objective placement marker for each town, or simply cover them with a TAOR marker and use 1?

Cover them with one TAOR marker and then use a singe civilian placement module and make set the TAOR to the mentioned marker.

If you want every town on a map to be covered all you need to is make a large marker that covers each city you want and have a single civilian placement module to populate it all. The same goes for military placement module, cover each military base that you want to have populated/assaulted/defended with a marker and use a single military placement module to populate them.

This changes a bit if you want to have one side spawning in one end of the map and another side on the other. You could place a TAOR marker covering one half and another marker covering the other. Then create two civilian placement modules using each one to populate one of the markers.

but the actual mission zones are only in a radius (which I did not get to decide) around the spot I placed the modules themselves down.

The missions are just a loose idea of where your Military AI Commander is focusing on at the moment. Complete all the missions in the area and wipe out the enemy and it slowly move onward.

If you need a good hands on example of TAOR's the Operation Landlord mission is a neatly laid-out mission.

3. Friznit

22 Jul 2015 Administrator

@PillowTalk Using Eric's new guide to setting up ALiVE is working a lot better than the old, outdated information I was getting from the wiki.

Please point out where you think the wiki is out of date so I can update it.

4. The basic mission set up image comes to mind, first off. Since a few updates ago, the way you link the modules has changed from the way that shows.

The quick start guide is still also using the same information from before they changed what modules need to be linked together and in what way.

5. Friznit

22 Jul 2015 Administrator
    Edited 8 years ago by Friznit

Both the schematic and the Quick Start guide as still correct for basic mission setup, unless I'm missing something really obvious. There are different ways of doing it if you want an Asymmetric mission for example, but the Quickstart doesn't cover that.

Incidentally, you don't technically need a TAOR marker at all if you want to cover the whole map. For quick missions I place one OPFOR Mil Placement & an OPFOR Civ Placement module with no TAOR markers set. I might put a small blacklist marker around an airbase or something so players can have a safe area to start in, and sometimes sling in a BLUFOR Mil Placement using the same marker as a TAOR for them for some local area defence of that location.

6. Edited 8 years ago by Corsa1r

So, for example, on my mission I only have one civ objective placement down for the opfor, if I don't put any TAOR down at ALL, will they spawn in and around all towns in the map? Or will this not function correctly if done like that?

7. Yep, no TAOR = Entire map populated

8. Does that include all modules, or just a few like Civ, CQC and IED?

9. All of them

or Sign Up to reply!