Can you make virt units spawn in a zone?

1. 8 years ago
    Edited 8 years ago by thefinn

I'm wondering if I can make a trigger or any other device to de-virtualize units in a particular area as if a player were within the vicinity.

Looking at creating some very basic zones through sector control module, however of course virtualized units cannot capture.

2. Tried taking them out of the Virtual AI system, however they spawn and just stand there forever more because they never leave the area to go back into the AI system.

Any suggestions?

3. Maybe you could use these script snippets from the ALiVE wiki found here and here .

4. Yes they detect fine, however are no longer being handled by the opcom once they enter the zone.

So they then stop moving - never leaving the zone.

The only way to allow them to BE detected by the opcom again would be to profile them - making them virtualize again so they cannot capture the zone - or worse no longer virtualize thereby making ALiVE totally useless as a means to manage the server load.

5. This sounds like a bug. Maybe an ALiVE dev can chime in on this.

6. Friznit

11 Jul 2015 Administrator

Why? It's all working as intended. I think you'll need to write a sector control script that works with ALiVE Profiles, as the BIS ones clearly need a physical unit present for it to work. A trigger that detects profiles or physical units including players and creates a coloured marker on the location would seem the simplest approach.

7. Yeah I'm in the middle of doing that now.

8. Could you share it when you're done please? I've been using seized by triggers to move colored markers to signify control of areas but it requires a player to be within the spawn radius for it to properly work, a way to do the same with virtualized AI would be wonderful.

9. Right now just working on the player part.

I found I needed to make the trigger much larger for the AI to trigger it - it worked fine, but the player ALSO triggered it from the larger trigger, which I didn't want. I need to work on that more, but right now just want to get all my zones done.

10. 7 years ago

I'd like to ask the devs the same question. Is there a way to force the spawning of the profiled units around the unit X, which is _not_ the player?

The reason why I'm asking is the following: I play with the AI in my group and would like them to still be able to interact with the world while I am far away. Currently when I'm killed and have to respawn at the base which is several kilometers away from the battle, everything around my AI team becomes virtualized and they report "Area clear", although there should be a battle going on.

11. Friznit

16 Oct 2016 Administrator

You could try digging around in the code to find the bit that makes UAV 'pilots' spawn profiles and see if it's possible to reuse that on an individual unit. I'm not sure exactly where it is but probably in the Virtual AI module.

12. As Friznit said, there's not really a clean way of doing it, you would have to get funky and have a player-connected uav in the area.

or Sign Up to reply!