Playing Kunduz Alive SP [help]

1. 8 years ago

I'm absolutely new to Arma 3 modding. I've had Arma 3 since October and played mostly Wasteland.

I really want to play Kunduz and I saw that Alive supports it. I'm not entirely sure how to use Alive, so can someone point me the right direction on how to make this happen. I'd like to play Kunduz, single player, against AI. Alive looks fanatic and there is just way too much information for me to go through at the moment. I'm just trying to wrap my head around it. Thanks!

2. http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Check out our wiki it will go over all the features. Then check this forum for Mission Templates by Spyder and download those... poke around. Also there are demo missions included in the ALiVE download which you can check out.

Quickstart guide here:
    http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Quickstart

3. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

To get started you can read the wiki for how to get started http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Quickstart

Theu also have some youtube tutorials that have been posted. I know there are a few other tutorials posted by non-devs that you could use aswell. Just search Arma 3 ALiVE Tutorials on youtube and you should get a nice list of results.

Edit: ah you beat me Savage

Edit2: Since Savage mentioned the mission templates thread. I could make an insurgency template on Kunduz that would still be fully playable but also possible to learn from. Kunduz was a highly requested map to be indexed so there is probably quite a few people in your situation.

4. Edited 8 years ago by amadeus_ray

That would be fantastic. I don't mind learning Alive but if I can play Kunduz while moving a few things around and tweaking, that'll make the experience a lot more enjoyable.

edit: I'll poke around the mission templates as well.

5. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

As Promised, added a Kunduz Insurgency mission.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/ijs67w34fbye694/ALiVE+Insurgency+Kunduz.rar

Base is a little wonky but you can shift things around yourself if you have editor knowledge.

6. Thanks Spyder

7. Edited 8 years ago by amadeus_ray

Thank you, thank you.

I followed this for the installation...
    http://www.reddit.com/r/arma/comments/1wkmv8/alive_sample_missions_how_to_install_and_run_them/

So it loads up a few Friendly AI and no enemy AI. I'm at a base. I assume it's correct although there doesn't seem to be a mission. I'm going to poke around the guides and tutorials now.

edit: I'm getting the hang of it. Thanks again, but do let me know if the mission is suppose to load up enemies or an objective or something. Thank you spyder and the crew.

8. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

If you load it up and open the ALiVE menu (appkey by default) and then hit Activate Profiles in the admin submenu there should be a few (4) red icons. Those represent the starting force for insurgents who will then recruit more.....actually there should be some Opfor FIA placed directly in the editor.

If this is not the case let me know because it worked fine on my end when I tested it.

As for what to do in this mission. You can start by patrolling towns and villages and either finding insurgents or gathering intel from civilians. If you want more rigid missions you can open up the C2ISTAR module and turn the "autotasking for blufor" option from no to yes.

9. Is there a way to start a mission with the insurgency further ahead?
    eg. mission starts and already there are many HQ, turned civilians, and roadblocks setup. So as if your squad shows up and everything has already gone to shit, as apposed to being in mission and having to wait for all this to build up.

10. Dev answer:

not yet, savage - well it works pretty well if you only place an enemy TAOR and set the hostility setting on the civ module to extreme towards the insurgents. So the Insurgents will start terrorizing the objectives they are at directly and after a few minutes the first installations are established

11. not sure if that was intended to answer my question, but it does! Thanks for passing along the info.
    Will try this out ASAP.

12. Good idea on this .. added a feature request:

http://dev.withsix.com/issues/76245

13. happy to inspire. haha. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a drop down option in the module as you suggested.

14. Edited 8 years ago by amadeus_ray

I got it to work! I got the enemy AI to show up. This is great. It took me a while to respond because I've been messing with it through the night and now it's 11 am right now. Are you guys in charge of the virtual arsenal? I'm having issues with the text popping up on the yellow tabs. It's hard for me to get the appropriate mag for the gun as well. The guns show up as black, I think they are suppose, maybe?

15. Good news .... any idea what was causing the problem (for future reference)?

With regards to virtual arsenal unfortunately not that is a built-in Arma thing. I would check the BIS forums I'm sure there is a thread for that somewhere.

16. Nothing was causing the problem. I simply didn't know how to use it. But now that I've messed with it, I get the idea of the what Alive exactly does. I had to remap the APPkey since I'm playing an iMac 5k (mac keyboard). I definitely wouldn't have found that information (how to install and use) had I not asked. The sample mission engaged me to Alive.

BUT with that said, I definitely think there should be a tutorial highlighting how to use the sample mission. That would be the very first tutorial I'd look at. It's weird the trailer is great and show's what alive is, but you really can't grasp what it really does until you get hands on with it. Seeing the tutorial vides online and how many there are felt a little overwhelming.

Anyways. Awesome program, I can't wait to play with it more.

17. Friznit

15 May 2015 Administrator

@amadeus_ray I definitely wouldn't have found that information (how to install and use) had I not asked.

...but you really can't grasp what it really does until you get hands on with it. Seeing the tutorial vides online and how many there are felt a little overwhelming.

It's clearly linked in every release post! But really the best way to learn is to experiment. ALiVE is so flexible that no tutorial video can ever do it justice.

18. Edited 8 years ago by amadeus_ray

I spent a reasonable amount of time looking at how to install the sample missions and get them open and use them (as someone new to Arma 3 mods). That was just my experience and it brought me here, so I'm thankful.

But yeah, being hands on with the sample missions is the way to go. I've been enjoying it.

19. Friznit

15 May 2015 Administrator

Fair enough! Glad you got there in there end :)

or Sign Up to reply!